tips for buying a used piano?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

tips for buying a used piano?

Post by runrunrun » Sun May 24, 2009 11:39 am

i've been seeing lots of pianos on craigslist ultra cheap, thinking of picking one up. i plan to get piano movers, so im not worried about the transport.

i know to check for dead keys and the general sound/feel of the piano, just wondering if there are any other things to look for that i might not think of. not looking to get the worlds most amazing piano, just something for general use and something that will be ok with holding it's tune.

trumpetgunk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by trumpetgunk » Sun May 24, 2009 5:47 pm

I just finished selling three pianos on craigslist!! What a piano tuner pointed out to me is that you want to make sure the bridges aren't cracked. Those are the wooden pieces attached to the soundboard that the strings run over. If these are cracked, it's a bigger repair cost than probably what the piano is worth.

My only other advice would be to make sure you try the piano before you buy it. If you know any good piano tuners, ask them to look at it for you. Most of them will help you if you ask.

Good luck!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun May 24, 2009 7:32 pm

An upright is more expensive to move, but will probably sound better -- general case.

If you're serious about one, I second that its really worth having a tuner look at it with you so that you're not setting yourself up for a load of heartbreak.