My Van = free amp iso box?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mixohoytian
pluggin' in mics

My Van = free amp iso box?

Post by mixohoytian » Tue May 26, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm trying to find a way to crank my class A 100 watt head and record while in the garage at my condo. Would like to build a soundproof box, but don't really have the budget

so does anyone here think the GMC safari van would be a good idea as far as soundproofing a 4x12
I'm thinking about installing a speaker and mic wall plate on my van

all I want is woodstock, hendrix type really really stupid loud close miced by an sm57

does anyone think this will work?
or will it be really loud still where the windows are etc..?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue May 26, 2009 5:17 pm

rad

You must just try it and report back. Surely it will make for an interesting experiment.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Once upon a time I used an SUV as a vocal booth on a 4 track recording. A lot less volume in that instance though. Something newer like that, seems like it would probably have decent sound insulation, but a 100 watt guitar amp is damned loud. I'd give it a shot on half volume first.

Lukey
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Lukey » Tue May 26, 2009 10:03 pm

I was recording in a cabin once with a friend, and we ran a line out to my 97 windstar. Kalamazoo model II in the back, with various LDC's in the front on a short stand between the seats. It was interesting, and not horrible. Not the best isolation from outside the vehicle, but better than cabin walls. completely inaudible from the control room/area. If you have close neighbors it might not be the best. We had to run power for the amp and the mic line in through a cracked window, which defeated some of the soundproofing effect.

On the whole, it had a kind of "tubby" and interesting reverb effect, but we didn't even bother trying to close mic an amp in the van.

Wish I had backed up that session...

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed May 27, 2009 7:49 am

You know those cars you see at night with the blue neon undersides making that loud fartlike bass sound? Your van will be the metal/rock version of that (minus the neon). Don't forget to paint a mural of a half naked moon lady riding a dragon on the side.

mixohoytian
pluggin' in mics

Post by mixohoytian » Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 am

cool thanks for the input..I didn't know if I was loosing my mind
I'm not worried about the "room" sound. The best rock tone for me (van halen and queen) is a class A amp all the way up w/ an sm 57 up on the speaker

The gmc safari is "heavy" the doors etc..just worried about the windows leaking
but I will see if I can test it out
maybe I can cover the windows with blankets or something

I keep joking with my wife that I'm gonna pick up the free junk rv trailer on craigslist and bring it home just to crank my amp in

:lol:

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 am

I'm sure it would help some, and I'm equally sure that a fully cranked amp will still be audible outside the van. Think about a van with a loud car audio system, cranked. You can still hear audio outside the vehicle.

The hard part will be getting cables into the van, and still sealing it up airtight.

Maybe consider getting a smaller amp iso box?

mixohoytian
pluggin' in mics

Post by mixohoytian » Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 am

my other options:

build a box from scratch

find a free giant wooden crate, then sound proof it

or I just discovered this metal container:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/1156421214.html

would metal, then drywall etc on the inside be better than wood?

how many layers of dry wall (plus green glue) would be needed?
is it worth getting quiet rock? and green glue?

earlier this year, I recorded in the same room with my amp
it's a mojave peacemaker..and it nearly killed me...it's really loud..but I've found the tone I've been after for a long time

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed May 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Sound isolation is all about mass, and airtightness. Things like Green Glue improve things even more.

In other words, the more mass you add the better it will perform.

You can get special speaker iso cabinets for recording, which you would use instead of your normal cabinet. Something like that might be your best bet, and would certainly be cheaper than the metal container.

That said, you could get that metal container, beef it up, then build a tiny room inside it for some killer iso. It'd be a lot of work and expensive, though....

turtlejon1
pluggin' in mics

Post by turtlejon1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:41 pm

i have used my dodge ram van as an iso booth before. small percussion setup, wasn't silent, but way quieter than without. cars are pretty airtight, and designed to damp sound on the inside, as long as it's not a "cargo van" without the interior headliner and paneling and stuff. great idea to mount patches inside so you can keep cables safe.
-always thankful-

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:13 am

When I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlSZzKcoFp0 a few months ago I thought "wow, that's exactly what everything sounds like in a ski area gondola!" The inside of a car or van is significantly more padded than a gondola, which usually just has metal walls. Also, you are close mic'ing. Still, the overall small size of the chamber in this video does make for a very recognizable sound I'd say.

mixohoytian
pluggin' in mics

Post by mixohoytian » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 am

going to try it in an hour here at work during lunch time

will let you know, not sure how it will work w/ a class A 100 watt amp....I'm sure it would work for modern lower volume amp

I'm thinking, if it doesn't work, to just buy the speaker enclosure form vocalbooth.com it's $700-800 I think

If i make one...it would cost $500-600 easy...and may not work as I have no carpentry skills

mixohoytian
pluggin' in mics

Post by mixohoytian » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:49 pm

ok the van won't work
it dampened a lot, but the ground still shook and vibrated and it sounded like practice amp turned up loud which won't work for the condo

it will, however, work for anyone who lives in a house and has no soundproofing and wants to record at midnight or later
in that case you could do it

(when I was in a house, I'd be loud up til 10pm a the latest) :?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:55 pm

just get a hotplate or make something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGEccKzJ7uI