room treatment continues... (what's next?)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

room treatment continues... (what's next?)

Post by solo-bration » Thu May 28, 2009 6:41 am

Hi guys. I've received good advice here before, so I'm back for more. I mix in a 11'X10' room with 8ft ceilings. Yup, almost perfectly square - the best shape room possible for music! :roll: . I've got large 4" thick (703) bass traps in the four corners.

The back and front wall are currently bare. What would you guys recommend? From what I've read on the web, for a room this small, it seems 'the deader, the better'? So do I just COVER this room in OC 703 and call it a day, or should I go with some sort of diffusors instead (especially on the back wall)? Or a bass trap/diffusor combo?

The wall to my right is bare, so I plan on hanging a diffusor there to kill the early reflections. I'd like to put the same diffusor on the left wall too, but that wall is basically a large double window. So maybe I'd go with some heavy curtains there instead? Thoughts?

PS - this room has nice-looking hardwood floors, but I'm wondering if I should cover them with carpet? I plan on hanging a cloud over the mix position eventually too. Man, this stuff adds up fa$t, eh :?

THANKS!

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by myfipie » Thu May 28, 2009 6:53 am

The back and front wall are currently bare. What would you guys recommend?
For a room like that I would go with 6" panels.

So do I just COVER this room in OC 703 and call it a day, or should I go with some sort of diffusors instead (especially on the back wall)? Or a bass trap/diffusor combo?
You could go with a combo of both but use the diffusors as more of a "icing on the cake" like of thing. Hit the back wall as hard as you can with the 6" and put diffusion around that. Also you could use diffusion on the back side walls or ceiling.

The wall to my right is bare, so I plan on hanging a diffusor there to kill the early reflections. I'd like to put the same diffusor on the left wall too, but that wall is basically a large double window. So maybe I'd go with some heavy curtains there instead? Thoughts?
I am not a big fan of diffusion in the early reflection points. But even at that what you do the left side you need to do the same to the right. I would put absorption on the left and right and if need be use stands if you have a window.

PS - this room has nice-looking hardwood floors, but I'm wondering if I should cover them with carpet? I plan on hanging a cloud over the mix position eventually
If you plan on treating the ceiling (which is a good thing :D ) then don't put down carpet.

Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu May 28, 2009 8:21 am

Definitely don't cover the room with thin layers of 703. You want thicker (3-6") 703 in strategically useful locations, such as the wall/ceiling corners and the rear wall, as well as possibly behind your speakers to control SBIR. You can run this test to see exactly where bass traps would be most useful in your space.

I agree with Glenn, don't use diffusors at first-reflection points. In fact, I probably wouldn't bother with diffusion at all in a room that small, especially if budget is tight. Make sure you have excellent bass trapping, and a solid Reflection-Free Zone (including your ceiling cloud) first, these are much more important.

gregovertone
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregovertone » Thu May 28, 2009 9:01 am

props to realtraps and gik.

they seem to be in every corner of the internet at all times, offering a helping hand with acoustics.

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by myfipie » Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 am

gregovertone wrote:props to realtraps and gik.

they seem to be in every corner of the internet at all times, offering a helping hand with acoustics.
:D :P
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

Weasel9992
ass engineer

Post by Weasel9992 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:17 pm

JWL wrote:I agree with Glenn, don't use diffusors at first-reflection points. In fact, I probably wouldn't bother with diffusion at all in a room that small, especially if budget is tight.
+2. You don't have to real estate to waste on diffusion in your room. Every square inch will need to be devoted to bass trapping.

Frank
Frank Oesterheld - GIK Acoustics
www.GIKAcoustics.com

solo-bration
gettin' sounds

Post by solo-bration » Fri May 29, 2009 4:51 am

Thanks for the tips guys. Especially, GIK and realtraps... I know posting here will always get me pro advice ;) I had a feeling diffusion treatment might be kind of hopeless in a room this small.

I ran that pink noise test mp3 and found bass building-up quite a bit near the ceiling over the mix positions and to each sides of mix position (but closer to the floor). So basically in all the UNtreated areas... duh! :wink:

I just made the 4" corner traps last week, and I can already hear the difference. The room is definitely tighter-sounding, so I'm really looking forward to taking this treatment to the next level.