Switch from Vegas to Sonar (?) what do you think(?)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Switch from Vegas to Sonar (?) what do you think(?)

Post by losthighway » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:27 am

I have used Vegas since I started recording audio. I can do basically any operation on it in seconds- I can edit multiple tracks, stick a verse from another take on to the end of a chorus, you name it. I'm good at it. I'm thinking of switching to Sonar, here's my reasoning:

1. Sonar has auto-latency compensation for using hardware. I've gotten much more interested in routing stuff in the mix process through hardware (comp, spring reverb etc), and reamping, Vegas has no latency compensation for this. If you try to blend dry and effected tracks you have to labor to get them in phase. While you can zoom in and slide the tracks there is a minimum increment you can move things and it's about .05 seconds or something, too big a move to get the phase lined up. I've had to use DELAY set to 100% mix to align things, mixing them down hard panned and then checking the phase visually on my mastering software. DUMB!

2. People claim its ITB rendering sounds better than other programs. This might be snake oil, but something always seems to be missing in my Vegas mix downs and I can never put my finger on it. Improving pres, and converters made things sound better, but never took away a certain negative quality.

I pride myself on my ninja like editing skills, and have received many compliments from clients on my speed and efficiency. I don't want to spoil this by changing platforms, but I feel ready for a change. I might try the demo version, and write a little ditty with multiple instruments so I can go through the whole recording, mixing process on the software to see.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:24 am

Go for it. I love Sonar. It's the one app that I have Windows installed for. If it wasn't for Sonar I'd wipe the partition and just use Linux (which I use for everything else).

Keep the 64 bit engine on, even if you aren't running 64 bit windows.

Sonar has TONS of cool editing features, it's all about workflow. I imagine you'll be even faster once you get used to Sonar.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:08 am

May I also suggest trying Reaper? It's just gone to v3, and there's a definite similarity in it's interface to Vegas. And it also has the latency compensation and 64-bit mix engine you crave. You can download an unrestricted trial from http://Reaper.fm

Stevil
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Switch from Vegas to Sonar (?) what do you think(?)

Post by Stevil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 pm

I migrated from Vegas to Sonar many versions ago (Sonic Foundry days) & have been happy with the move. When i made the change Sonar had a ton more options, yet its still user friendly & similar enough you don't get lost in the interface. Give it a test spin, ultimately it's going to be your work flow that determines if it's the right program for you.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:39 pm

sonar is great. i've used several daws and formats, and after moving to sonar, i've never looked back.

rodreb
audio school graduate

Post by rodreb » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:54 pm

I love Sonar. I've been using it since Sonar1 and am now on 8.31.

Very stable.
Sounds great.
Can't go wrong.
No brainer.
ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording

johnnydove
pushin' record

Post by johnnydove » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:19 pm

i'm also going to recommend sonar, i've been using it for a little over 2 years and i love it.
-johnny

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:50 am

That's a pretty positive round of opinions. Now if I can just pick a chunk of time where I'm not working with people on projects already started on Vegas, so I can do a dummy demo of myself and put the Sonar demo through its paces.

I am SOOOO into the idea of being able to print outboard effects without having to finagle the phase stuff.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Be sure to put the demo thru its paces before buying (you can't resell Sonar).

I consider myself pretty DAW savvy. I've quickly learned how to get Tracktion, Garage Band, Reaper, Acid, Live, Samplitude, Fruity Loops, and Orion to do what I want. For some reason, even after R'ing TFM Sonar's always been a head-scratcher for me. I want to like it because of its features & bundled plugins for the price.

Also it's the only DAW that's had serious driver problems with my far-from-cutting-edge equipment (Delta 1010LT on a 5 year old HP running XP). Strangely, the now-defunct Project 5 (also from Cakewalk) did not have such problems.

Just my experience, it does offer a lot for the money.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Re: Switch from Vegas to Sonar (?) what do you think(?)

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:42 pm

losthighway wrote:2. People claim its ITB rendering sounds better than other programs. This might be snake oil, but something always seems to be missing in my Vegas mix downs and I can never put my finger on it. Improving pres, and converters made things sound better, but never took away a certain negative quality.
Disclaimer: I haven't used the latest version of Sonar.

As of a couple versions back, it definitely had a sound, both on softsynths and audio tracks.

Dunno if it was good or bad, not a big deal, but I bounce back and forth between Sonar, Cubase, and Ableton, and each one sounds a little different with the same softsynth or low-budget signal chain. Maybe with fancy gear and careful level management the difference wouldn't be there, but I swear I can hear the difference out here in Low Budget Land.

At the risk of getting kicked to the curb, I always liked Cubase best for audio stuff and Sonar a little more for softsynths. Ableton has been the most crashproof and fun but either I clip it more or the mix buss is less forgiving. Vegas I dunno.

Hope this helps.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:44 pm

JWL wrote:Keep the 64 bit engine on, even if you aren't running 64 bit windows.
Sounds intriguing. What's the payoff?

Sorry for the threadjack, only temporary . . .
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:28 pm

I'm not saying you shouldn't switch, but Vegas 9 does let you move audio at the sample level (basically the only audio upgrade to Vegas 9).

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:05 am

Huh, Vegas 9 lets you slide audio where ever you want huh? Well that's half my motivation for switching software. I guess if Vegas costs half as much I'll upgrade, survey says.... $600.00 Nope!

I think Sonar is $300. I still need to do the demo and record a multi track song and mix the pants off of it. I've got a crazy Afro-Beat tune running around in my head, I think a solo, one man band project might be a great way to put software to the test.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:44 am

losthighway wrote:Huh, Vegas 9 lets you slide audio where ever you want huh? Well that's half my motivation for switching software. I guess if Vegas costs half as much I'll upgrade, survey says.... $600.00 Nope!

I think Sonar is $300. I still need to do the demo and record a multi track song and mix the pants off of it. I've got a crazy Afro-Beat tune running around in my head, I think a solo, one man band project might be a great way to put software to the test.
when you get sonar, i'd recommend right clicking on the "ruler" and select snap properties. it's there where you can select moving audio at sample level.

i would also recommend getting the sonar producer version. it's worth the extra money, and you can get sonar 7 producer for about 200 bucks - if you don't mind not having sonar 8.

good luck...

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:58 am

I like Sonar.