what do i use to split gtr signal for stereo amp setup ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Trem2
gettin' sounds

what do i use to split gtr signal for stereo amp setup ?

Post by Trem2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:10 am

I've tried this using my morley A/B box, and when I use the a OR b alone the amps sound normal but when I hit the a AND b switch I lose a lot of signal from the guitar and both amps get significantly quieter. Is there a cheap solution for this ?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 am

You could put the guitar into a small mixer. then send L to one amp and R to the other. You'd also have an additional gain stage, so maybe a little added noise...but I've done this several times without many problems. My acoustic gets a little added noise...but thats it. I use this all the time for playing with a guitar and a couple keyboards through the same amp or to send to a stereo set up. Keep everything panned center for both amps or you can pan L or R to go to only one amp.

Also...several multi effect pedals have L/R outs for stereo chorus, reverbs and delays. No extra contol...just same signal to both amps. My boss me-50 has this.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:42 am

You need an active A/B box. Something with a buffer so that the impedance load for each amp doesn't get screwed up when you select A & B.
I have a whirlwind A/B that's pretty good for this but there are lots of others that will work.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:42 am

A delay or chorus pedal with stereo outs would be my first thought. You don't even have to have the effect on.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Stevil
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Stevil » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:00 am

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:01 pm

Lehle also makes a lot of really nice products for splitting guitars. In particular the P-Split will do exactly what you're looking for. You can find them at a lot of boutique guitar shops or on the web

http://www.lehle.com/

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Would adding any 'ol buffered (ie Boss, Ibanez, Digitech) effect pedal between your guitar and splitter remedy this?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:Lehle also makes a lot of really nice products for splitting guitars. In particular the P-Split will do exactly what you're looking for. You can find them at a lot of boutique guitar shops or on the web

http://www.lehle.com/
Those are super nice. A guy a played in a band with 5 or 6 years ago used one similar to that, although I think it was somehting he made. Either way...it sounded great with his set up.
Last edited by ott0bot on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:25 pm

You could get the jump on my plan to bring stereo chorused guitar amps back into style. I love that sound so much and it is sooo out of style.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:34 pm

chuckfurok wrote:You could get the jump on my plan to bring stereo chorused guitar amps back into style. I love that sound so much and it is sooo out of style.
Some things happen for darn good reasons. :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:50 pm

dwlb wrote:
chuckfurok wrote:You could get the jump on my plan to bring stereo chorused guitar amps back into style. I love that sound so much and it is sooo out of style.
Some things happen for darn good reasons. :wink:
*slathers everything in Roland Dimension D*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Rolsen wrote:Would adding any 'ol buffered (ie Boss, Ibanez, Digitech) effect pedal between your guitar and splitter remedy this?
Yes, most likely.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:41 pm

I've been using the Little Labs STD for this and it works great.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:01 am

nice

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:39 am

what about noise?

on my guitar's pedalboard, i run first into an old Ibanez AD9 delay, which has 2 outputs- the first one contains the dry and the wet sounds, the 2nd carrying just the dry. I run the dry out into a tuner (I seem to be the only person who has his Boss floor tuners go microphonic on him- they ring like a bad 12ax7 when you tap them). I have tried a couple different things with this setup:

1) run the out of the tuner straight into the computer- for my later reamping pleasure. I get a ton of noise, however, through both the DI and the amp.

2) into another amplifier for a double amp rig. Both hum like bastards.

I have recently stuck a Roland RE30 digital Space Echo thing on the end of my signal chain (i love it... and i hate it)- will i have the same noise from 2 amps if i use the left and right outs into 2 different amps?

I have been shocked pretty dramatically by ungrounded equipment in some pretty spectacular ways. I'm a little worried about putting one of the amps on one of those 3 prong (grounded) to 2 prong (ungrounded) adapters, though a couple people have told me that will clear up the problem. I'd love to be able to run loops and things out of one amp, while keeping the second amp clean without getting fried.