what do i use to split gtr signal for stereo amp setup ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:15 am

cgarges wrote:I've been using the Little Labs STD for this and it works great.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
+1

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:49 am

tdbajus wrote:I have recently stuck a Roland RE30 digital Space Echo thing on the end of my signal chain (i love it... and i hate it)- will i have the same noise from 2 amps if i use the left and right outs into 2 different amps?
Yep, it'll still buzz. All the noise is prob coming from the AD9
I have been shocked pretty dramatically by ungrounded equipment in some pretty spectacular ways. I'm a little worried about putting one of the amps on one of those 3 prong (grounded) to 2 prong (ungrounded) adapters, though a couple people have told me that will clear up the problem. I'd love to be able to run loops and things out of one amp, while keeping the second amp clean without getting fried.
Theoretically that shouldn't cause you to get fried, as long as 1 amp is going to ground. The circuit will just be looking for the shortest path to ground, which will still be through the pedals and through the other amp. Mostly you get shocked when your face touches a microphone and the PA system or the amp isn't grounded correctly. Then your body is part of the shortest path to ground. Sometimes using a 3 to 2 prong adapter helps, sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a shot.

If you're worried about getting shocked you should carry a ground tester to shows and check any outlet you plug in to. They're only like $3. And a portable GUID (one of those outlets you see in bathrooms with the test and reset buttons) would prevent a shock from continuing long enough to do any serious damage (hopefully). Mind you a millisecond of any shock could stop your heart if you're unlucky.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:26 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:
tdbajus wrote:I have recently stuck a Roland RE30 digital Space Echo thing on the end of my signal chain (i love it... and i hate it)- will i have the same noise from 2 amps if i use the left and right outs into 2 different amps?
Yep, it'll still buzz. All the noise is prob coming from the AD9
Well, the AD9 isn't whisper quiet, but it's pretty good, actually- when i unplug one of the amps, the buzz goes away- which leads me to believe there is something going on ABOVE any pedal induced noise I have.

Also, all of my pedals are plugged into a voodoolabs power supply- i thought the tranformer isolation on that unit was supposed to get rid of loop hum.