Reamp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Apparently there is some controversy about whether or not he was the first to "invent" it, or simply the first to market such a device.

I don' really know the details though.

Anyway, other than that, I agree with everything else you said above!
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Wasn't he the first to patent it?

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:16 pm

yes, but sadly 1st to invent and 1st to patent are not always synonymous.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:59 pm

roygbiv wrote:yes, but sadly 1st to invent and 1st to patent are not always synonymous.
Totally true my friend!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

wesimel
gettin' sounds

Post by wesimel » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:49 am

What about this... I've seen bands send their vocals through stomp boxes, what is needed to do this? Do I need to buy a reamp, or can i just get a XLR->1/4" (unbalanced) converter, and then on the way out send it through a direct box? I'd also want to send it to a guitar amp (may be micing/putting effects on harmonicas/melodicas, etc...)

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:23 pm

Iv'e spent 2k on stuff I use once a month, but my re-amp box I bought on ebay used for $100, and use it everyday, yes everyday.

In my book thats a good value.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:40 am

can anyone point me to a DIY reamp resource?

Glenn Baughman
audio school

This one seems pretty interesting.....

Post by Glenn Baughman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:20 pm

http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/r ... /314.html- seems pretty solid in style and substance

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthre ... 79228-some people chatting on a jensen reamp schematic. (a little deeper down the rabbit hole)
What does it SOUND like baby?
-Ray Charles

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:29 am

I think I bought my Radial ProRMP for just under $100. Well worth it. Getting your tone with out having to play at the same time? I'll buy that for $100. :P

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:22 pm

T-rex wrote:BTW, the Reamp is the original, I mean that guy invented it and produces it in very small numbers so I totally understand the $200 price tag. I would have loved to have bought one from him just to support small business and because he tracked those Dead kennedys albums; but I had to spend the money elsewhere and the ProRMP fits the bill.
I interned for that dude a long time ago. He was always cool to me. There were some funny stories when Live (the band) came around.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:13 am

You can vary the speed of recording to get a bigger or tighter room without having to play the guitar part in a different tempo and key. Of course, playing it differently is often part of the reason you do it in the first place, but this is useful too.

mixohoytian
pluggin' in mics

Post by mixohoytian » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:10 am

I'm not an engineer, jut a guitarist
but why is a reamp thingy necessary
I always thought the signal would just come out of the computer back into a different amp or whatever..and then re recorded on a different track?

also, with reamping
if Guns n roses chineese democracy is considered a good example, I say re amping guitars sucks...but i think in terms of that GNR album, remaping was code for amp modeling..??

I'm all about tube tone pushing air into a mic
if you re amp into another amp and mic it
can one really predict certain feed back nuances ..I mean if you are getting a vibe from a certain amp and playing off it's feedback, how could you possibly get that same feedback on a different amp without hours and hours of testing

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 am

Part of the thing about re-amping a signal back to another amp is you want (probably) the signal to hit the amp at the same impedance a guitar would so that it sounds like a guitar should through that amp;

The re-amp boxes are said adjust the computer output to do that.

The G&R record is kinda weird, no? Better than I thought, but somehow not good enough.

I do'nt re-amp (guitars, anyway) but I don't think you really do it on feedbacking tracks, for the reason(s) you said.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

plus6
audio school graduate

Post by plus6 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:00 pm

roygbiv wrote:Apparently there is some controversy about whether or not he was the first to "invent" it, or simply the first to market such a device.

I don' really know the details though.

Anyway, other than that, I agree with everything else you said above!

For the record: I never said I invented re-amping, only the Reamp.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:20 pm

wesimel wrote:What about this... I've seen bands send their vocals through stomp boxes, what is needed to do this? Do I need to buy a reamp, or can i just get a XLR->1/4" (unbalanced) converter, and then on the way out send it through a direct box? I'd also want to send it to a guitar amp (may be micing/putting effects on harmonicas/melodicas, etc...)
Plugging a mic into an xlr to 1/4" impedance matching converter then to a stompbox then an amp will work fine. Reamping is for after you've recorded the track, and you want to send what you've recorded back through an amp to record again.