favorite pedal for octaving/pitch shifting?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

favorite pedal for octaving/pitch shifting?

Post by joninc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:26 pm

i recently worked with a band who had a whammy pedal and i loved running stuff through it - mainly just for octave up/down stuff. so i thought i'd look into getting one and of course the best one supposedly is the original which fetches up to $800 *!$#@ on ebay. FOR A PEDAL. that's insane!

i used the newer v4 whammy and thought it was decent enough..

but then i started thinking about the other available options for octave type pedals and what might be more interesting/fun and i started to think about the electro harmonix pedals - the micro pog, pog, hog etc...

it's not much more from a micro pog to a pog so i am considering that as a alternative with more options that i might actually use (rather than harmonizing effects on the whammy)...

thoughts? favs?
the new rules : there are no rules

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:52 pm

I've used the whammy and the Pog and both are cool. The Whammy is it's own crazy thing and it does so much more than your average octave pedal.
For recording my all-time favorite is Leigh's Lowender plug in. It does everything from octave pedal stuff to sub harmonic synth.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 pm

octave divider type stuff is fun and great in front of an amp, but i've always gotten loads more mileage out of pitch transposers like the Harmonizer or IPS-33B or similar things.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:10 pm

The pog is amazing. I've put entire string sections through it to fatten them up. There's still a little bit of a delay to it, but it's more than bearable for things that aren't all transient.

For something monophonic the options are completely different, but they always have trouble with complex signals. My favorite solution is the Pigtronix Mothership, which is just a whole synthesizer that tracks guitars or bass pretty damn well. Well enough that I've used it live without issue. And of course you can set it to whatever octave you want. Worth checking out, though it's also around $400+

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:35 pm

Not a pedal, but find a used MXR Pitch Transposer. You'll be very happy.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:19 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:Not a pedal, but find a used MXR Pitch Transposer. You'll be very happy.
oh yes!

try to get the display, too (separate add-on unit that displays interval in cents or semitones).

i think you can find the diagram for the footswitch online somewhere so you can build your own.

a great sound!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Post by daysleeper » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:37 pm

You should look into the Boss PS-5 Super Shifter. I think they sell for around $160 new, but I have seen them used for $100. It does all of the pitch shifting variations that the Whammy WH-1 does plus it has a cool vibrato setting that is very similar to the discontinued Boss VB-2 pedal. I also own a Whammy pedal and I agree that they are completely over priced at this point.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:20 pm

I have a Whammy II and it does fine although it "sounds" digital in the sence that the signal sounds a hair glitchy/twitchy at times. You have to listen closely though to hear it. I like it for fake pedal steal sounds as well as octave dives/climes.

I have a POG which is way better for chordal stuff. Tracks even better than the Whammy.

On the other end of the spectrum I have a MuTron Octave Divider which tracks poorly but that is it's charm. It does the Neil Young "My amp is melting" thing like nothing else.

Just depends on what you want.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:12 pm

1960's mu-tron octave divider.. i use it on my bass with distortion.. it can make people throw up

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:13 am

POG or frequency divider modules for me.
I also use the lowender and/or the dbx subharmonic synth. The furma punch can do it as well. POG is the best all around octave thingy right now in my opion, because it always tracks perfectly no matter what you use it on.