Guitar Center return policy - microphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Guitar Center return policy - microphones

Post by Grahambo! » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 am

I just picked up a used Sennheiser e602 from a guy in Chicago via Craiglist and I think I got scammed a bit. The mic works, but it's horribly undefined. It has awesome bass presence, but I can't get like any attack out of the thing. And what do you know, the guy I bought it from won't answer his phone or respond to me e-mails.

All of the above makes me think I got jipped... or maybe I just don't like this mic.

I'd like to verify the latter buy buying a NEW e602 from Guitar Center and testing them side-by-side and then returning it after I figure it out. Will Guitar Center let me return for a full refund if I do it like the next day? Maybe this isn't even necessary...
Last edited by Grahambo! on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 am

as far as I know, their policy is NO RETURNS on microphone purchases.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 am

Damn. Hmmm... well, not sure what to do then.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:56 am

subatomic pieces wrote:as far as I know, their policy is NO RETURNS on microphone purchases.
Um, no. Unless they changed their policy they used to let you use it for three days or something small like that. I've boughten a mic knew i was gonna return to get a weekend's use out of it. Full refund. Their reasoning they gave me at the time for the extremely small time window was for sanitary reasons. They didn't want singers spiting into a mic for a month then returning it.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:57 am

Makes sense. I figured it was a small window return policy like that. I'll check it out tonight.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:05 am

Yeah, they might have caught on to people doing what I did so just ask the sales guy. I believe it says on the back of any receipt you get from them to. Again, they may have changed it.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 am

It seems like if you checked out a new e602 in the store through some kindof generic setup you'd get enough of an idea of the mic's freq response to know if your eBay purchase is FUBAR or not.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:15 am

I agree with Snarl.

Also, there is something called "renting" that may be more applicable for what you guys are discussing above.

It is not the same as "buy, use and then return for free". Abuse of the latter system screws up return policies for everyone.

There, I said it. I'm an old nag. Whatever.
Last edited by roygbiv on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:20 am

roygbiv wrote:Also, there is something called "renting" that may be more applicable for what you guys are discussing above.

It is not the same as "buy and return for free". Abuse of the latter system screws up return policies for everyone.

There, I said it. I'm an old nag. Whatever.
Exactly. Thanks for saying it.
This is just another in a long list of examples of how people think that they're "sticking it to the man" when they're actually fucking things up for those of us who are honest.
Last edited by chris harris on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:24 am

suppositron wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:as far as I know, their policy is NO RETURNS on microphone purchases.
Um, no. Unless they changed their policy they used to let you use it for three days or something small like that. I've boughten a mic knew i was gonna return to get a weekend's use out of it. Full refund. Their reasoning they gave me at the time for the extremely small time window was for sanitary reasons. They didn't want singers spiting into a mic for a month then returning it.
Um, yes.

Now, apparently they don't even want people spitting into it for 3 days and then returning it. It's an understandable policy. Especially in light of people doing shady shit like you did.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 am

Just received an e-mail reply from GuitarCenter.com in regards to returning a microphone to my local store if I was unhappy with it.

Message from Erin F at Guitar Center:
Thank you for your recent inquiry.

As long as you return it with everything the mic will come with (owners manual, warrenty card, packaging, etc..) there shouldn't be a problem getting the full refund.

866-498-7882

ErinF

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 am

Grahambo! wrote:Just received an e-mail reply from GuitarCenter.com in regards to returning a microphone to my local store if I was unhappy with it.

Message from Erin F at Guitar Center:
Thank you for your recent inquiry.

As long as you return it with everything the mic will come with (owners manual, warrenty card, packaging, etc..) there shouldn't be a problem getting the full refund.

866-498-7882

ErinF
You should definitely VERIFY this with your local store. Get something IN WRITING. Their written/posted/stated policy on this seems to contradict what "Erin" told you via email. Notice that she also carefully chose her wording... "shouldn't be a problem". I would bet that the policy that is written on the website would supersede a questionably worded email from "erin".

GC employees are NOTORIOUS for not having a fucking clue and telling you what you want to hear.

And, again, you could consider the honest, ethical alternative to what you plan to do: Rent or borrow the mic to do your testing.

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:44 am

Yeah, I hear you. She also misspelled words. Great customer service, hah.

But yes, I understand. I WOULD borrow or RENT a mic if I knew of someone to borrow or rent from in the Chicago area. I've already posted several threads in the past 6 months in search of an e602 to rent or borrow, and all I got were a few links to local audio rental places that don't carry the e602.

But yes, I understand the ethical issues in knowingly buying a mic just to return it the next day. But I'm not buying this mic to use in a project. I'm just A/Bing it with my presumed defunct mic. I don't think the ethical issues are nearly as great in my circumstance, but once again, I acknowledge they exist. But once again... this is a $160 mic. Not exactly ripping anyone off either. I just want to make sure the mic is indeed broken, or verify that I don't like how the e602 sounds so I can move on to something else.

If someone has an e602 they'd lend me, let me know. Wouldn't want to be a dick to ol' GC. :roll:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:55 am

"boughten?"
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:58 am

Grahambo! wrote:Yeah, I hear you. She also misspelled words. Great customer service, hah.

But yes, I understand. I WOULD borrow or RENT a mic if I knew of someone to borrow or rent from in the Chicago area. I've already posted several threads in the past 6 months in search of an e602 to rent or borrow, and all I got were a few links to local audio rental places that don't carry the e602.

But yes, I understand the ethical issues in knowingly buying a mic just to return it the next day. But I'm not buying this mic to use in a project. I'm just A/Bing it with my presumed defunct mic. I don't think the ethical issues are nearly as great in my circumstance, but once again, I acknowledge they exist. But once again... this is a $160 mic. Not exactly ripping anyone off either. I just want to make sure the mic is indeed broken, or verify that I don't like how the e602 sounds so I can move on to something else.

If someone has an e602 they'd lend me, let me know. Wouldn't want to be a dick to ol' GC. :roll:
Dude, I wasn't trying to be a Dick, but rather, just trying to encourage you to Do the Right Thing (TM).

Which clearly you started out trying to do by trying to borrow one. But remember, the path to hell is paved with good intentions, and all that. Maybe the guy who sold you the mic off Craigslist intended to tell you there was a problem, but since you didn't ask......

Also, whether or not it is a $160 mic, or even Guitar Center, is irrelevant to the ethics at hand (unless the same person at Guitar Center has specifically and knowingly screwed you before, then it might be a little more grey).

Anyway, one way out of this dilemma might be to simply tell the dude/dudette at Guitar Center what you want/intend to do, ask if that is ok, and ask if it would be possible for you to pay a small re-stocking fee, since you are unlikely to actually buy and keep the mic.

That way you would have covered your ethical bases, at least in a Clintonesque way.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."