Chris Stamey interviewd on NPR

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Chris Stamey interviewd on NPR

Post by PublicMelody » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:00 am

I just heard an interview with Chris Stamey and Peter Holsapple on Here and Now about their new release. I only had a couple of mins to listen to it, but will stream the whole thing from npr.org tonight.

I didn't realize how influential their band, The dBs, was back in the day.

Very cool!

Congratulations, Chris.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Oh yeah. The Sneakers, too, even though they only put out the one EP and played like seven shows in their 30-year history. The dBs were a really big deal in the south.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:23 pm

That was a cool interview. Record sounds good, too.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:38 pm

cgarges wrote:Oh yeah. The Sneakers, too, even though they only put out the one EP and played like seven shows in their 30-year history. The dBs were a really big deal in the south.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Back in the early '80's, the dB's influence even percolated up to us in Nebraska. Inspired a lot of Lincoln and Omaha bands. Mathew Sweet was a big dB's fan in high school, for example.

"Big Brown Eyes" - great tune!

Edit: just checked out the interview via the NPR web-site - thanks for the heads up. Just like the dB's, a fun listen that leaves you feeling in a good mood afterwards.
http://www.hereandnow.org/stand-alone-p ... s%20Stamey

Quick question: what is the name of the song the link starts out with? It re-woke some long-dead neurons - I know I used to play that song in a band a looooong time ago. Its a pop masterpiece, and now it is bugging me. Help - anybody know?
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Yo, never mind my last question - I figured it out - the pop masterpiece in question is "Neverland".

Any of you skinny young hipsters looking for a semi-obscure cover to play , look no further. I guarantee you, from having played it a bunch way back when, that song is great to rock up at the end of the set. Will get the place hopping.

Actually, I'm surprised Green Day or somebody hasn't done it yet....

Here's a link:

http://www.thedbsonline.net/multimedia/neverland.html
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Post by PublicMelody » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:19 am

cgarges wrote:Oh yeah. The Sneakers, too, even though they only put out the one EP and played like seven shows in their 30-year history. The dBs were a really big deal in the south.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
That's strange. I spent most my life in GA, but I've got no recollection of The dBs. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention back then. Then again, I'm a mere 39 years old (for a few more weeks), so maybe I missed it. :)

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:42 pm

That's crazy. You're primed to have been a dBs fan.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

PublicMelody
takin' a dinner break

Post by PublicMelody » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:43 pm

You're right, that IS crazy. You know...I'm really bad with names....really bad.

I would probably recognize a half dozen of their tunes if they came on the juke-box.

What album would you suggest I buy?

Thanks!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Stands For Decibels is a good place to start.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:43 pm

I just bought the new one, Here and Now, at Amazon. Check out the name of the last track.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:03 pm

PublicMelody wrote:What album would you suggest I buy?
You really need to own both Stands For Decibels and Repercussion. Your life is simply not complete without them.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."