best cheap, decent electronic piano for a kid

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bickle
takin' a dinner break

best cheap, decent electronic piano for a kid

Post by bickle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 am

So, this isn't entirely a tape-op kind of question, but I'm looking to find a cheap portable keyboard for my niece, who's turning 9. It needs to be something that provides a relatively realistic piano experience (especially sound and velocity-sensitivity) but is still relatively small and portable and comes in at no more than a couple hundred bucks.

This sort of thing is hard to research b/c it doesn't appeal to serious folks, but I thought maybe somebody here had it figured out. Any help would be much appreciated!

Stevil
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Stevil » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 pm

i'd look at used Roland & Yamaha electric pianos.

looks like Yamaha has a new full size electric grand for $300
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMNP30
(not weighted keys though)

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:04 am

The new Yamaha mentioned above sounds and feels good, if you can spend that much. Velocity sensitive but not real stiff -- "semi-weighted," they call it. The non-piano sounds are uneven, but who cares?

The older Yamahas (PSR series) are real cheap on e-bay sometimes, after someone else's kid gets bored with them. I got mine for $50. The last place I worked, we had one for the child care center -- obnoxious dj features and 10,000 buttons, but it actually looked and sounded good for a cheap digital piano.

If your niece is a little player, the grownup instruments work too. I saw a kid absolutely throw down on a Casio Previa once, in the SF Guitar Center. It was . . . humbling.

Good luck!
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:36 pm

I like the sounds in the above-mentioned PSR series. some of the DGX models probably sell used in your price range, but may be a bit bigger than what you are looking for. they feel ok. the newer casios (privia) are pretty nice and definitely not what you would expect to say casio on it. They are a little more pricy though.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson