Help me pick a delay pedal for my synth!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Help me pick a delay pedal for my synth!

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:17 am

After having countless incidents trying to get TWO Virus TI2 synths to work properly, I decided to go with a Nord Lead 2X (had a Nord Lead 1 before and love it...except for the keys, but I can survive this).

Since the Nord Lead2X doesn't have any effects, I'd like to get a flexible delay pedal with some modulation capabilities, and maybe even a looper to use live. So far, I've come up with the following:

Boss DD-7 - 170
TC Electronic Nova Repeater - 250
Akai Professional E2 Headrush - 199

I also like the idea of being able to tap the tempo for each song. If there are any other units that you'd recomment, please let me know.

http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

mvollrath
gettin' sounds

Post by mvollrath » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:36 am

Having used the Headrush E2 with my NL2X, I can say it's quite capable as a looper and the delay features are pretty cool and unique. The noise floor was higher than going through my DD-6 but I don't remember it being unbearable for tracking. I wish I still had it for the looping. The one looping feature the E2 does have over the DD-7 (and any other looper I've tried) is the ability to remove all layers except the first by double tapping record.

The DD-6 only has 5.2s of "hold" for looping, but i like its interface pretty well (hold down the footswitch to record). The expanded 40s hold of the DD-7 would make it more useful (I can't do anything with 5.2s).
"All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." - pablo picasso

vxboogie
pushin' record

Re: Help me pick a delay pedal for my synth!

Post by vxboogie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:05 am

metanoiastudios wrote:After having countless incidents trying to get TWO Virus TI2 synths to work properly, I decided to go with a Nord Lead 2X (had a Nord Lead 1 before and love it...except for the keys, but I can survive this).

Since the Nord Lead2X doesn't have any effects, I'd like to get a flexible delay pedal with some modulation capabilities, and maybe even a looper to use live. So far, I've come up with the following:

Boss DD-7 - 170
TC Electronic Nova Repeater - 250
Akai Professional E2 Headrush - 199

I also like the idea of being able to tap the tempo for each song. If there are any other units that you'd recomment, please let me know.

Line 6 DL4 comes to mind. You see them all over in concert and studio pics. Nice unit, I bought one used, mainly for the looping. I haven't used it a ton, but I like the features and the sound.
http://www.line6.com/dl4/
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 am

The headrush is a great looper, a pretty good delay pedal and has no modulation. But I used to love the hell out of mine. I sold it when I finally got tired of trying to loop shit with a band and moved to mostly analog delays.

Boss stuff is pretty awesome as far as reliability and for crazy stutter effects using the hold button, however they're pretty useless as loopers and still have no modulation.

The pedal I'd suggest the most costs twice as much as the others, so it's probably out of your budget, but it's the Pigtronics Echolution. AMAZING sounding analog delay with switchable modulation, tap tempo with various musical settings, and looping and reverse capabilities. PLUS you can plug a CV expression pedal in to play with the delay time live. It's a big box, but it pretty much does the work of 4 or 5 different delay pedals, and I think David Koltai's designs sound freaking amazing. Anyway, you see them used every once in a while and I'd highly suggest at least checking one out.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I love delays like my right hand.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:32 am

I really liked the overall dimensions and even the keys on my old NL2X (go figure) and especially liked the granite pitch wheel. (I sold it on the TO board a couple years ago). As far as delays, I second the
Line 6 DL4
suggestion.

If your not opposed to a rack delay i would also look at the TC electronics D-Two.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:16 pm

+ 1 on the Pigtronix.....that thing is both easy to use and very deep at the same time.

I just started really getting into the trails function....sooooo cool!!!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Akai E2 Headrush!

EDIT: the DL4 is really flexible as a looper (i have one and love it for that), but they have a history of dying unexpectedly for no apparent reason.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:31 pm

I have a DL4 and like it a lot, but I don't think I'd buy another one. Reason being - I think you hear about too many issues with them breaking down, and I think they cost too much for what they are. When they first came out they were the only pedal in their class to do what they do, now there's lots of them. I'd check out some of the Boss pedals, or if you have the $, an Eventide Timefactor (I have one - very cool unit).

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:24 pm

i'd checkout the New roland space echo. It sounds really nice for the price.
Also pretty much any of the EH delay pedals are good.
I wish I still had my effectron. those usually go for under $100 on ebay. They have all kinds of modulation. If you are lucky enough you might find one with the remote pedal as well.
though its a rack jobby so it might not fit your bill.
Most guys I know in the darkwave scene are suing those Boss DD6 or DD7.
Those pedals just seem to last forever and have decent noise floor (if the impedances are right).
Stay away from crappy stuff like Behringer, johnson and Danelectro. so not worth it.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:17 pm

I would HIGHLY recommend this:

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/P ... actor.aspx

Time Factor by Evevtide

meldar produxshunz
gettin' sounds

Post by meldar produxshunz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:10 pm

i have a empress superdelay. its pricey, but does all of the stuff the line6 does, better, is more reliable, and sounds better. only complaint is the loop is way too short. the dl4 is a handy, fun pedal. i learned my lesson trying to tour with one. never again. if money is no issue, the best out there is the diamond memory lane 2. it schools everything. but too much $$$ for touring. if you want a more analog sound (no tap tempo), look into the malekko and trex stuff. they sound good.
waaaaaaaam...doggy.
http://matthewmeldonguitar.com

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:03 am

What do you guys think about the Damage Control TimeLine?

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:37 pm

for your needs ... dl-4.

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:53 pm

+1 on the dL4. Get a used one and send it to DMB pedals, or one of the other places that do this kinda thing, and spend a little on getting it upgraded with Burr/Brown ICs and whatnots, and it'll be more reliable without being terribly expensive. That said, I bought mine beat to shit, used and only partially functional hear on the TOMB a few months ago, gave it a very, VERY thorough cleaning, and it's worked fine since. go figure.

Also, the Empress looks great, but I haven't tried one, and some of the EH stuff is cool too (I'm thinking the new Memory Man with Hazarai or whtever the hell they call it)...
I like pie.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:47 am

I ended up getting a used Pigtronix Echolution. 8)