So who is using Chameleon Labs TS-1?s as OHs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

So who is using Chameleon Labs TS-1?s as OHs?

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Picked up a pair of these about a year and a half ago, and I must say they get a pretty amazing shimmer on cymbals. Not so great if you are planning to use the OHs to pick up snare, toms, and kick but for cymbals, wow.

Anyone found other uses for these mics?
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

meldar produxshunz
gettin' sounds

Post by meldar produxshunz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:01 pm

i have a pair. use them on acoustic guitars and piano. good on both. nothing really comes close as far as i can tell for under $1000 each.
waaaaaaaam...doggy.
http://matthewmeldonguitar.com

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:14 am

I've been thinking of picking up a pair of these. Specifically to try out for drum overheads, but I've read reviews that praise them on a lot of sources. I've never had any good SDCs in my mic locker, I usually use ribbons for OHs. So I've been looking for something that's a good long term investment, that I'm not going to want to upgrade later. I was also looking at Charter Oak's SDCs. The TS-1 definitely seems like a good bang for the buck, but is it just flat out "good"?

Any of you that have put them through the paces think the TS-1's fall into that category or should I keep saving my pennies?

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:07 am

I picked up a pair last month and finally got a chance to use them yesterday. Posting some rough mixes from my band's rehearsal.

http://landspeedrecording.com/2010/3.27/

I'm really happy with these and would recommend them to anyone. Only issue is that the level is super hot, I may need to get some pads.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 pm

***I often do, and love them.
Cheers!

-MR

Mark Rubel
Pogo Studio
Champaign, IL USA

http://www.pogostudio.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 am

Corey Y wrote:I've been thinking of picking up a pair of these. Specifically to try out for drum overheads, but I've read reviews that praise them on a lot of sources. I've never had any good SDCs in my mic locker, I usually use ribbons for OHs. So I've been looking for something that's a good long term investment, that I'm not going to want to upgrade later. I was also looking at Charter Oak's SDCs. The TS-1 definitely seems like a good bang for the buck, but is it just flat out "good"?

Any of you that have put them through the paces think the TS-1's fall into that category or should I keep saving my pennies?
A couple who I respect quite a bit and have pretty pimped out places really love the TS1s, including the poster above me.

George Massenberg mentioned them at a conference this weekend.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:15 pm

That's good to know, I've only heard one negative comment about them so far but the recording in question sounded good to my ear. I didn't end up buying a pair when I made my last big couple of purchases, but it's on the list. Our income tax return is earmarked for a new dishwasher and a couple other household items, so that's off limits. Hopefully I can get a couple instruments sold locally that I have up on craigslist, so I can pick a couple TS-1's up sooner rather than later.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:54 pm

stupid dishwashers. mine is in need of repair or replacement right now too. NEVER buy an appliance from LG. they are crap. but I digress... then again like cheap chinese mics or preamps that promise a lot of features but lack quality in certain areas, my Korean-made LG dishwasher had a lot of features for the money but was totally not worth it and I would not do it again -- I really don't have much experience in modding dishwashers either...

But seriously, the CL deal for the two of the TS-1's and one of the TS-2's looks like a pretty good deal for $999. http://www.clmics.com/ I've been tempted myself. where are these made again?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 pm

digitaldrummer wrote: But seriously, the CL deal for the two of the TS-1's and one of the TS-2's looks like a pretty good deal for $999. http://www.clmics.com/ I've been tempted myself. where are these made again?
They sound good, who cares?

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:07 pm

I wish I hadn't seen that $999 deal. I have utility condensors: a pair each of Crown CM700 and AT4033 and that's it. (Plus plenty of dynamic mics.) I'm wondering if these are a big step up for general use.. sorry for the hijack. With the optional hypercardioid capsules and shipping it's less than $1200 for three well-regarded tube mics.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:09 pm

sears wrote:I wish I hadn't seen that $999 deal. I have utility condensors: a pair each of Crown CM700 and AT4033 and that's it. (Plus plenty of dynamic mics.) I'm wondering if these are a big step up for general use.. sorry for the hijack. With the optional hypercardioid capsules and shipping it's less than $1200 for three well-regarded tube mics.
I think the TS-2 is a much cooler/better/more useful mic than the 4033, and I'm an AT fan.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:19 pm

I have the $999 trio, although I paid slightly more when they were on sale a while ago...

The TS-2s just fucking rock. They are my desert island SDC for sure.

The TS-1 is really neat, it sounds like itself and not much else... It's the opposite of a 4050 for me, not a swiss army mic at all. I find that it's really shining on softer voices, certain upright basses and non-rock percussion. Maybe mine needs a tune-up but it seems to sound like it's about to blow up on really loud stuff.
Everything louder than everything else.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:15 pm

0-it-hz wrote:I have the $999 trio, although I paid slightly more when they were on sale a while ago...

The TS-2s just fucking rock. They are my desert island SDC for sure.

The TS-1 is really neat, it sounds like itself and not much else... It's the opposite of a 4050 for me, not a swiss army mic at all. I find that it's really shining on softer voices, certain upright basses and non-rock percussion. Maybe mine needs a tune-up but it seems to sound like it's about to blow up on really loud stuff.
For those that don't know these mics let me make a polite correction.

TS-1 Small Diaphragm
TS-2 Large Diaphragm.
Thanks
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:42 pm

hey the finger genius, anywhere I can hear more of your band's music? Those rehearsal recordings sound better than my "studio" recordings, and the songs are great. I'd love to hear more.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:20 am

haHA... I'm not too good with letters AND numbers evidently.

:)
Everything louder than everything else.