Am I going to regret this later?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Should I sell my Alesis MMT-8 or keep it?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Sell It!
73%
Keep It!
27%

Total votes: 11

saint360
alignin' 24-trk

Am I going to regret this later?

Post by saint360 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:06 pm

So I have this Alesis MMT-8 that I bought when I was like 14 or 15 years old in the late 80's. The thing is great. It got me through many years. The way it forces you to work often makes you get creative results you would not have otherwise arrived at. And it's fun to use in a live setting by manually going from pattern to pattern and muting/unmuting tracks. And the crappy metronome sound that comes out of the little speaker on the bottom is endearing. But it has sat unused in my house for a decade. Ever since I started using a computer for sequencing and audio, I have been too lazy to break it out and try to integrate it into my setup. It's getting hard to justify holding onto it.

Thinking nothing would happen, I put an ad out on craigslist last night to test myself. And within a few hours, here's a guy who wants it. I may be meeting up with him tomorrow to sell it to him for $60. My rational, logical mind says good riddance, a little spending money for this weekend's trip to Austin, less clutter in the house. But then I start thinking of all the fun times "Little Saint" and I have had over the years, and all the MMT8 devotees out there who would kill for another one if theirs died, and I start to wonder if I'm making a sale I will later regret. What do y'all think?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:14 pm

I think that if you've listed it for sale and someone has offered to take you up on it, then you should follow through with the sale.

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:34 am

I think that when you come to Austin you should avoid Beauty Bar at all costs.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:20 am

How much space do you have and can you afford to keep doing this with other pieces of gear? A big place means a big pile of old processors is no big deal.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:50 am

Some times you just don't need stuff anymore. I remember when I finally sold my first amp (fender bullet). To be honest, I still probably wouldn't have used it today, though I have used some other crappy/tiny solid state fenders from time to time. Either way it wasn't worth keeping around and I was glad that someone else could have an amp to learn on.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:37 am

it's just not cool to sell something that you have "named"

saint360
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saint360 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:45 am

FlowersForHuman wrote:I think that when you come to Austin you should avoid Beauty Bar at all costs.
am i missing something, here?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:49 am

saint360 wrote:
FlowersForHuman wrote:I think that when you come to Austin you should avoid Beauty Bar at all costs.
am i missing something, here?
I think that you should avoid 6th St. in general at all costs... unless you've got your flip flops, backwards baseball cap, and massive insecurity induced binge alcoholism.

Stick to the places on Red River. Definitely check out the Mohawk.

agrpap
pluggin' in mics

Post by agrpap » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:51 am

If you wind up missing it badly enough, you could always buy another one for less than or as much as you sold yours.

And yes, the Beauty Bar is a depressing reminder of what has been happening to Austin for many years now.
do i have to?

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:56 am

I wouldn't sell something that retained sentimental value for a measly $60.

I did sell the first mics I ever bought, and the first monitors I ever mixed on. Recording gear holds little sentimentality to me.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

manganeech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by manganeech » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:14 am

I think you should feel good about selling something you haven't used in a decade to someone who wants to use it now. It might actually get used to make some cool music by the new owner rather than collect dust with you. Maybe the new owner will continue to use your nickname.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:33 am

while it may get you $60 now, think about if you ever want to perform sequenced tracks live. Sure you could drag a laptop and a midi interface down to the gig. But have you ever crashed an alesis?
I still have my HR16b lying around for much this reason. I have better sounding drum machines that are less sophisticated, and awesome mind boggling drum machines in software. But if I just want to rock out with a drum machine on a stage someplace I would much rather bring the HR16b. Its rugged, ugly and not hip. And besides, I could only get like $60 for it so why bother?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:57 am

How can you possibly get rid of something that tells you "bummer dude, memory full?"
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Am I going to regret this later?

Post by Jim_Boulter » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:01 pm

saint360 wrote:But it has sat unused in my house for a decade.
Makes it a no-brainer to me. If it had been my grandmother's, I'd keep it for sentimental reasons. Mine? No.
If you're not prepared to look stupid, nothing great is ever gonna happen.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:59 pm

purge and grow...
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?