What do you guys use to write on your mixing boards?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:38 pm

pencil when im acually writing on the board itself to mark fader movements. tape and a sharpie for labeling channels

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:17 pm

cgarges wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:there were those magnets around for a while that would read Kick, Lead, Saxophone, Cowbell etc.
I was gonna mention those. I worked in one studio that had some of them around, but I never found out where they came from. I'd love to have some of those to stick on outboard gear during tracking sessions. Anyone know where to get those things?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I'm not sure where you buy the pre-made ones, but I bought flexible magnetic tape with self-adhesive (from the craft section of the local super-store), and then borrowed a label-maker to print out labels.

Stick the labels on the tape, then cut them into little squares. Instant custom made magnetic labels.

Works great. Best part is they are definitely easier to read in a hurry than my handwriting.

Here's what the tape looks like the picture below - you can probably also find it at an office supply place.

"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:29 am

Sharpie directly on scribble strip. Comes off perfectly with a little acetone. Did this for years and the strip still looks like new.

But now that I'm on a Digi Profile, I just use the [Backspace] key.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:47 am

roygbiv wrote:I'm not sure where you buy the pre-made ones, but I bought flexible magnetic tape with self-adhesive (from the craft section of the local super-store), and then borrowed a label-maker to print out labels.

Stick the labels on the tape, then cut them into little squares. Instant custom made magnetic labels.

Works great. Best part is they are definitely easier to read in a hurry than my handwriting.

Here's what the tape looks like the picture below - you can probably also find it at an office supply place.

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:09 pm

roygbiv wrote:
cgarges wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:there were those magnets around for a while that would read Kick, Lead, Saxophone, Cowbell etc.
I was gonna mention those. I worked in one studio that had some of them around, but I never found out where they came from. I'd love to have some of those to stick on outboard gear during tracking sessions. Anyone know where to get those things?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I'm not sure where you buy the pre-made ones, but I bought flexible magnetic tape with self-adhesive (from the craft section of the local super-store), and then borrowed a label-maker to print out labels.

I think I actually have some of that shit, that I've been ignoring for years, in my workshop. Maybe it's time to get over my fear of virtual photons.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:10 pm

blue masking tape and silver sharpies.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Brother's Labelmaker!

You can also use white gaffer's tape or painter's tape (the blue 3M kind) & Sharpie.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:34 am

I usually etch things in with a soldering iron. Especially at studios I rent, especially when they have a vintage API 1608. :wink:

ummm...
Actually artists tape and a sharpie-like marker. I actually recomend the acid free cd markers so you can mark on cd's with the same guy and it won't damage the cd's over time. Also I've been partial to the ultra fine point markers and occasionally colors to group tracks. You can find litte sets for pretty cheap. At home I don't have a console so I just color code and label them properly in the DAW, and make a text file with the track sheet.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:02 am

ott0bot wrote:I usually etch things in with a soldering iron. Especially at studios I rent, especially when they have a vintage API 1604. :wink:
FYP.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:05 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
ott0bot wrote:I usually etch things in with a soldering iron. Especially at studios I rent, especially when they have a vintage API 1604. :wink:
FYP.
sorry I don't know internet lingo.... :(

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:13 am

Fixed Your Post.

I don't think that any API 1608s can be considered "vintage" yet.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:32 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Fixed Your Post.

I don't think that any API 1608s can be considered "vintage" yet.
that's true. I was thinking about the reissue, but meant the original and thanks! i look may look slighly less uniformed now by being corrected! ha!

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:42 pm

ott0bot wrote:
I may look slightly less uninformed now by being corrected! ha!
FYP in multiple places. That's two in one day!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:ott0bot wrote:
I may look slightly less uninformed now by being corrected! ha!
FYP in multiple places. That's two in one day!
you guys are big douches. :lol:

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:01 pm

well, SOMEBODY has to make sure that EVERYTHING written on the internets is true. ;)