Logic Studio upgrade - is it worth it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

garciajbj
audio school

Logic Studio upgrade - is it worth it?

Post by garciajbj » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm currently running Logic 7 Academic on my MacBook Pro. Since I got Logic through my school program, I would have to pay full price for the upgrade to Logic Studio. I'm a budget musician who rarely plays gigs, and I've become quite comfortable maneuvering around Logic 7. Is there really any sonic difference that can justify me upgrading to Logic Studio? I mean, I don't really need the new instruments, or the new delay creator, so the only reason I would upgrade is if there is a noticeable difference in the sound of the two programs. Also, if there is a noticeable difference in the sound, would it be worth it to just buy Logic Express? Like I said, I don't need Main Stage, as I don't play shows, but could I get by with Express, or would it make more sense to just stay with Logic 7? Can someone help me with this decision?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Logic Studio upgrade - is it worth it?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:15 pm

garciajbj wrote:I'm currently running Logic 7 Academic on my MacBook Pro. Since I got Logic through my school program, I would have to pay full price for the upgrade to Logic Studio. I'm a budget musician who rarely plays gigs, and I've become quite comfortable maneuvering around Logic 7. Is there really any sonic difference that can justify me upgrading to Logic Studio? I mean, I don't really need the new instruments, or the new delay creator, so the only reason I would upgrade is if there is a noticeable difference in the sound of the two programs. Also, if there is a noticeable difference in the sound, would it be worth it to just buy Logic Express? Like I said, I don't need Main Stage, as I don't play shows, but could I get by with Express, or would it make more sense to just stay with Logic 7? Can someone help me with this decision?
The sound itself is what you make it. In other words, Logic 7 is not "sonically" different than Logic Pro 8.

That said, it is one of the better complete packages for recording out there, and if you are already comfortable using it, then go ahead and get Studio. The price difference is worth getting the full version.

I happen to love the delay designer and the space designer. They do so much, it's scary.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:43 pm

For what you've laid out there, I don't think there's a compelling reason for you to upgrade. As Nick said, there's not a sonic difference.

Is Logic Studio nice? Yeah. But Express doesn't have Space Designer, and Logic 8 Files can't be opened in Logic 7. To me, not having Space Designer would be a knife to the heart. Delay Designer? I'm not that into it, frankly. I use the Tape Echo much more.

I upgraded because a client bought Logic 8 and I had to keep up. I'm glad I did, but I would've been fine otherwise. I also have use for some of the other stuff that comes with Logic Studio; it doesn't sound like you do at this point.

garciajbj
audio school

Post by garciajbj » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Thanks for all the help. As of right now, I think I'm going to stick with Logic 7, due to the advice I'm getting. My approach to mixing is extremely minimalistic, esp. when it comes to effects (i.e. reverb, delay, etc). One day I'd love to have Logic Studio, as it does seem much more streamlined and user friendly than its predecessor, but for right now, I think I'll focus more on my analog gear and my technique, and leave the DAW as it is.

ricey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ricey » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:12 pm

i have both versions and still rely on L 7. some of L8's selling features are not working yet. i mix OTB and having removed the channel selector in the L8 Edit window broke the deal for me. i'll try again on my next machine, or when they 'fix' it.

turtlejon1
pluggin' in mics

Post by turtlejon1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:31 am

logic 9 should come around sooner or later too...
-always thankful-

garciajbj
audio school

Post by garciajbj » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:12 pm

turtlejon1 wrote:logic 9 should come around sooner or later too...
Yeah, that's another point that I was thinking of. It was roughly three years between the Logic 7 and Logic 8 release, and its been another 2 years since. If they keep up their upgrades like this, I have no problem waiting another year to see what Apple brings to the table next.