my MACBOOK SUDDENLY not recognizing Presonus FIREPOD?!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wewantaction
audio school graduate

my MACBOOK SUDDENLY not recognizing Presonus FIREPOD?!

Post by wewantaction » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:01 am

Hey, somebody with an answer,

I just moved and I'm in the middle of recording my band Bookmobile's record. I've been trying to convince the band that I can record us and it's been sounding great. I'm running everything through a Presonus Firepod (3-4 years old) into my Macbook.

On Monday, we tracked the last few guitar solos at my old vacant space and I figured that I'd just record my vocals in my newly disorganized basement studio yesterday. Well, everything was great on Monday. But, now suddenly, my Macbook won't recognize my Firepod. I carried everything carefully in SKB cases, so I don't think it's broken. I tried a new cable on another firewire machine of my buddies and it works...

The only thing I can figure is that I installed the new itunes and it wanted a new version of Quicktime for video reasons. I didn't think that it would change any settings that I used for recording. But, if it did, how do I go back in time or unistall updates?

The Presonus website states that I don't NEED a special driver for the Firepod and it always worked without one before.

So, Macbook Intel (black one)
Presonus Firepod (8 channel one with silver face and blue knobs)
Logic Pro 8.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm supposed to be finishing my vocals for this compilation this weekend and my studio is shittily put together and this damn thing won't work.

I know one of you can help me. PLease? I don't want to go buy another interface, but I have no idea what to do. If this fails, I know that my band is gonna give up on my ability to record us. But, I've got 24 solid tracks on each song and a Manley Vox Box for vocals. it sounds awesome. But, I can't record anything now.

HELP!

and thank you.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:22 am

Have you tried any other firewire devices (hard drive?) on the firewire bus of your MacBook? Does your MacBook recognize anything plugged into the FW?

wewantaction
audio school graduate

Post by wewantaction » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:35 pm

yes, I've tried another firewire device. It's my buddie's Alesis Multimix 8. I used my cable with it so I know that it's not my port or my cable.

I just have no idea what it could be. It really sucks. If anybody has an idea, please let me know.

Thanks.

mixedupsteve
pushin' record

Post by mixedupsteve » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:01 am

Have you called Presonus support or gone on their forums.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Do you have the automatic updates turned off? Maybe the computer updated itself and now the drivers aren't compatible?

Good luck. Presonus has good tech help. Here's their number: 225-216-7887
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

wewantaction
audio school graduate

Post by wewantaction » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:01 am

thanks for the ideas. I've sent an email to Presonus Tech Support. If I don't get a response I'll call that number again. You have to have your serial number when you call and I don't want to dig the interface out of my rack unless I have to.

thanks again.

hopefully this thing syncs up.