History of re-amping

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 am

Personally I think it?s a godsend. Not so much to delay a decision, but getting to worry about fewer things at once when you are doing it all yourself. Playing the part while you dial in the tone, while you audition mics and mic positions, ect. is a pain in the ass!

Playing a bit of the part into the daw and looping it while you do all that makes it so much better ? even if you want to then plug the guitar in and record the part through the amp for the real take.

A very useful tool imo.

plus6
audio school graduate

Post by plus6 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:57 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Seems like every recording forum on the interwebs gets a visit from John Cunniberti regarding the reamp thing claiming that he single-handedly invented/patented/is the father of it/is the reason why it is common practice. I will give him credit... I never heard of it until I saw one of his ads in a magazine. I think that he needs to separate the process of re-amping from the product called Reamp.

From what I have heard, which has been kicking around the internet for a few years now, is that there was a lot of reamping going on in the 1970s in the studio with Steely Dan. And the reason for this was the fact that there were so many guitar takes that amps would crap out, so getting a direct signal to route through an amp later on saved on amp repair bills. True or not? No idea.

Does running vocals through a leslie speaker constitute reamping? Because if it does, then Geoff Emerick may have invented reamping while recording "Tomorrow Never Knows" during the Revolver sessions. Not sure how things were routed during that session. Will have to look through a bunch of Beatles books. However I've used a re-amping device to effect vocals before, and I've called it that.

John Cunniberti was the first to patent his Reamp design. I purposefully did not pick up his design because I found the Radial X-Amp to be much more robust. And... here is the kicker... after reading posts by him arguing with folks on forums several years ago (when I was shopping for such a device) I simply found him to be someone whom I did not want to receive my hard-earned cash.

Jeff

Wow, Jeff miss-quotes me, buys an X-Amp then talks about it - gotta love the internet.

For the record -I have never claimed to have invented reamping, only the Reamp.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Some of the threads on the TOMB that turned me off from ever doing business with you, John.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ht=#102632
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ht=#326596

I am glad that you received a patent royalty from my purchase of the Radial X-Amp, though. I understand how much time and money you have sank into the ReAmp.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my home studio, Ch?teau Blanco, and in various spaces in the Philly area. http://jeffwhiteaudio.com/