Groove Tubes MP-1 Mic Pre???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jdmcgee
gimme a little kick & snare

Groove Tubes MP-1 Mic Pre???

Post by jdmcgee » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:21 pm

I came across one of these today for a good deal (I think it was good deal at least?). Anyone out there know anything about them? I know it sounds pretty darn great but just curious if there was any info to be had. I can't really find any good info anywhere about it. Anyone have any idea how much they're worth?

Thanks,

jd

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:37 am

Woah. I've never even seen an MP-1. However I can tell you that all of the GT studio gear I have from that era is amazing. The CL1-S is one of my favorite sleeper compressors and the Model 1 tube mics are fantastic as well. Usually that stuff is WAY underpriced. I'm guessing it would go for maybe $200-300, but you may get an even better deal than that. If you pick it up let me know how you like it!

jdmcgee
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jdmcgee » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:Woah. I've never even seen an MP-1. However I can tell you that all of the GT studio gear I have from that era is amazing. The CL1-S is one of my favorite sleeper compressors and the Model 1 tube mics are fantastic as well. Usually that stuff is WAY underpriced. I'm guessing it would go for maybe $200-300, but you may get an even better deal than that. If you pick it up let me know how you like it!
Marc,

I picked the Groove Tubes MP-1 up the other day & one word... WOW!!! This thing is amazing! It's basically everything I would want in a tube mic pre. It sounded pretty darn good when I bought it but I couldn't help cracking it open to throw some NOS tubes in to see if that even made it better. Simply put, it did. This is probably due to the fact that best I could tell, it had the original tubes in it & the guy I bought it from stated that he's used it a lot off & on over the years. When I put the NOS tubes in I got to take a look at it's innards. It was wonderfully & simplistically built back in 1993 with Cinemag iron on the in/out & top-notch components throughout.

ME LIKEY LOTS!

jd

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:21 am

Awesome! Now I just need to keep my eyes open for one...

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Groove Tubes MP-1 Mic Pre???

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 am

necro thread. anyone still use/have one of these? i've been thinking about getting one. Transformer In/Out and proper tube voltage circuit (not starved plate).

thoughts?

emrr
buyin' a studio

Re: Groove Tubes MP-1 Mic Pre???

Post by emrr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Wow, haven't seen one in years, never heard too much about them. Curious as well. Looks reasonably modern/simple on the schematic, marking appears to indicate a Cinemag input transformer.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73