what kind of mods has the egde done to this guitar?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

what kind of mods has the egde done to this guitar?

Post by versuviusx » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 am

ok so does anyone know what the edge has done to this guitar? i have never seen anything like it before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD1D01ScC7U
it's a yellow guitar. you will have to freeze it and you will see all kinds of tone shapings knobs on that guitar. what is this? freeze the frame at 3:10
and you will see what i'm talking about. this guy has the best of the best. it's totally rediculous. would love to know anything about his guitars.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:16 am

Those guitars are called Telecasters and are made by the Fender guitar company since 1952. The one the Mr Edge is playing seems to be a standard model. Besides his finders and vast array of pedals there seems to be these super complex tone shaping knobs, the one closest to the neck is called "VOLUME" and controls how much signal comes out of the guitar. The other is called, funnily enough, "TONE" and is used to effect how bright the sound that comes out of the guitar.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:37 am

a yellow Tele. the controls look totally normal to me, too.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 am

I think you're looking at Adam's Jazz Bass. It has nothing special either - that black bar is just a finger rest.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 am

...and don't forget the "switch" that "switches" between the pickups!

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Is it April 1st on the Mayan calendar or something?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 pm

AndyHutchinson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AndyHutchinson » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:24 am

I know that I haven't posted much on this board, but I've read a lot of good, informative information here. I frequent this board because there is such a wealth of knowledge from seemingly experienced and intelligent people. Feel free to say what you want and tear me apart but, I really don't see any reason to be sarcastic and demeaning to people who are asking honest questions. As I said, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong, but, we all started out at the same place, and we all got where we are by asking honest questions to those who know more than we do. Anyway, flame away

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:20 am

His guitar tech Telef Ender told me that Mr. Edge uses Tungsten & Bismuth coil pickups and has lead shielding. He apparently feels very strongly about lining the inside cavity of his guitar with clay much like some people do with turntables.

His pickguards are made of real turtle shell too. That's why Edge's nickname is "Hero In A Half Shell".
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:02 am

AndyHutchinson wrote:I know that I haven't posted much on this board, but I've read a lot of good, informative information here. I frequent this board because there is such a wealth of knowledge from seemingly experienced and intelligent people. Feel free to say what you want and tear me apart but, I really don't see any reason to be sarcastic and demeaning to people who are asking honest questions. As I said, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong, but, we all started out at the same place, and we all got where we are by asking honest questions to those who know more than we do. Anyway, flame away
Agreed. It's petty.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:01 am

I thought the original post was a joke, and everyone was just playing along.

I will say that 99% of the time I belive this to be a "No Stupid Question Zone" and that is why I post here.

:)
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:22 am

Ryan Silva wrote:I thought the original post was a joke, and everyone was just playing along.

I will say that 99% of the time I belive this to be a "No Stupid Question Zone" and that is why I post here.

:)
I hedged my bets in my response. :D

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:11 pm

I think the one closest to the switch has been modified to increase the overall output of inane drivel. Bono uses a similar effect in his vocal chain along with his custom 'Ego-Boost'.

"This is a rock show."

Thank god they tell me because the way they do it I always forget.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:12 pm

I like this forum because it has an edge to it. To the OP, don't take it too seriously. Everyone is just having a little fun. It's all just good natured ribbing.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:24 pm

for our pleasure.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca