Omni Recommendations For String Band

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:17 pm

The Trinity Sessions used drums, amps and a vocal PA. It's a bit of different animal than a straight up blue grass/string band session. But then again, any band that can mix themselves live in the room will sound good on record.
I wouldn't worry about close micing the upright. You might find that it sounds more focused a few feet back from the main mic.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Re: Omni Recommendations For String Band

Post by jgimbel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:53 pm

logey wrote:
jgimbel wrote:
noeqplease wrote: As you're listening to each take, "mix" by moving players closer / further from the microphone.

It's important you find the placement for when they are all playing together a rhythm. Once you find this good balance, as each player does a solo, all they have to do is literally step up to the mic. If they are sitting, they can just stand up, that will be enough to get them closer to the mic, plus their higher intensity of playing their solo will get the levels right.
I read about this not all that long ago (maybe a year? maybe less?) either on here or in an article online (which I believe I found from a link on here). There was a band who recorded an album this way, anyone remember what it was? I want to say it was an irish band but I'm not sure. I know this technique's used for certain genres often but this article was the first time it caught my attention. I wish I could do it with the one-man band thing!
I realize this thread is a little old, but I see no one answered your question: I'm pretty sure the album you're referring to is the Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Session". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trinity_Session
The recording technique for this record is documented in more detail elsewhere I believe. It was an ambisonic mic that was used, but I would imagine you could do something similar with any stereo mic/array.
Hmm interesting read. I appreciate your response, but I don't think that's who I was thinking. I had thought they were some sort of acoustic based band, but I'm not so sure of that. The thing that really makes me think it's not a match is that the article I had read about them was more of a "this band just released an album that was recorded this way" article, not a "there was a band that did this at this previous time", aka the article was announcing the release, or wasn't too far after it. I THINK, I'm not sure though. But I'm going to give this a listen, it sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Wow I just bought the Trinity Session, what a beautiful album! I imagine Jenny Lewis of Riley Kiley (and a million other projects) has taken influence from Margo Timmons. Man I'd love to know how the mastering session for the album went. Talk about the proof of the wonders of a good room..

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

4050 etc.

Post by BenjaminWells » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:38 pm

So, I settled on the 4050 and I've been using it, and I love it. It's a great mic. Thanks so much.

Yes, one thing I've learned is that too small a room with so many instruments, doesn't work as well as a larger one with a high ceiling. I'm familiar with the Trinity Sessions and it was recorded in a church with gorgeous acoustics. I'm a fan and met Margo when they played here in Breckenridge last summer. I'll keep working on the technique and post some results.

My uncle (a jazz musician and theatrical music director) made the comment... "that's how it was done for years and years and years... and they laughed at me only five years ago when I suggested it for recording our production's CD. Now it's cutting edge?"

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:00 am

Hey Ben,

I have found I enjoy a spaced pair of Shure KSM141's in Omni, I think a pair of those go for $800. I use them for all kinds of things, but I think they shine when in Omni most of all.

They do well on Banjo 90% of the time, which is a tall order you ask me.

Good luck.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

4050 First Use

Post by BenjaminWells » Sun May 09, 2010 9:38 pm

So I finally recorded that little string band, in one take, on one mic... the 4050. Bass was DI, but is still present on the mic. Please for give the peccadilloes.

http://pinebeatles.com/track/blackberry-blossom

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: 4050 First Use

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon May 10, 2010 8:05 am

BenjaminWells wrote:So I finally recorded that little string band, in one take, on one mic... the 4050. Bass was DI, but is still present on the mic. Please for give the peccadilloes.

http://pinebeatles.com/track/blackberry-blossom

Sounds really nice man!

Any additional processing (compression, EQ), or is it dry? What type of room was it in?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

4030 omni, one take

Post by BenjaminWells » Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 am

Thank you for your comment. It's been a long road to get to this point. We made the recording in one take, in the room I built above my garage at home. Both channels, the 4050 and the DI-ed bass, were left untouched. All I did to them was set the levels. On the output channel I used Silver Comp and Space Designer, both standard Logic plugs. But, these I used very lightly: SilverComp 2:6:1 ratio at -3.0 threshold. Space designer .7s Realistic Room with max dry signal and reverb set to -12.0 db.

I owe the success of the sound to a a number of pillows hung from the ceiling with a homemade afghan blanket. This cut down on early reflections and improved the small room immensely. We had the benefit of a before / after, without and then with the pillows and there is no comparison. Also, I built the room with no corners. The four corners of the room all have voids, with fabric panels leading to 3 & 6 foot thick fiberglass insulation bass traps. Lastly, I have not finished treating my room, so I placed these home made bass traps around, to make an early reflection free zone for the players.

They (we) still need to work on the song, and moving in and out of the mic (mixing ourselves), but for a first try, I'm happy with the sound.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon May 10, 2010 9:43 am

Really sounds great! The song has a dense enough arrangement that I never would have guessed that reverb was added afterward. Subtle, really nice. This gives me even more confidence in the AT4050 I just got!

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 am

RE: mixing themselves--maybe move the banjo player down to the garage, or better yet, out in the street. :lol:

Seriously, he could move back some and the other instruments move in some. When the banjo/fiddle play it together, they should be about the same volume (traditionally) unless they want the banjo that far forward. The banjo dropped back nicely for the harmonica but the harmonica didn't come forward enough.

I'd think about a separate mic on the rhythm guitar to get more low mids/mids--there's not much body to the guitar, just the pick/string sound. The banjo has a nice full sound--I think it would help the overall tonality of the recording if the guitar had more richness.

Other than that, I think it sounds great--like folks in a room together playing music and enjoying it.

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

Ha!

Post by BenjaminWells » Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 am

Funny! And it's great how you are all confirming things we discussed while recording. Thank you.

That new banjo is really loud. The banjo player was sitting in a chair, down below the mic and about 5 feet away. The mic was placed a little below fiddle level for the short fiddle player, and she was right up in the mic, maybe 2 feet away. The two guitars, a National resonator and D-18 were about 4 feet away and still dropped out of the mix.

We discussed dynamics in the song, but only after recording. I think that rolling in and out will bring more subtlety and let different instruments shine at different times. It is necessary with such a dense arrangement, just as you observed. I'll post more results as we make them. Cheers!

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Tue May 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Wonderful posts and a great thread Ben! I've been on TapeOp gear talk for a few months now, and this is the most exciting thread I have read. Great hearing about how you treated your studio and a nice experience listening to your secession! Glad the AT4050 is delivering for you. I'm a 4047 user and love it's smooth top end. Was very happy to see a 4047 multi-pattern is now available!
I also use the Avant CV-12 (that someone else mentioned) in omni with strings and small groups.
Thanks very much for a winning post!

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

Post by BenjaminWells » Tue May 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful input, suggestions and constructive comments. I'm glad you like the thread... it's a fascinating project to record onto one mic.