Turning crap guitar amp into crap BASS amp!?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

logancircle
tinnitus

Turning crap guitar amp into crap BASS amp!?

Post by logancircle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:59 am

I've got this crap Fender guitar amp called the Super 210 that my band's bassist has been using as his bass amp (just for practicing! For gigs we rent a nice big Ampeg). Anyhoo, I hear the speakers working too hard, especially at full-volume practices, and I'm just waiting for them to obliterate.

the QUESTION: is it possible to put proper bass speakers in this amp? It's 60 watts and gets pretty loud with a bass as-is, but obviously the cabinet is not ideal, none of it's ideal. Can it be done?
Here's a link to the amp:
http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=101

Thanks!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:21 am

No, new speakers in the combo amp won't help. That Super is a guitar amp, 2 speakers, open back cab. Can't reproduce low-end loudly in a band situation with a drummer. Why don't you just borrow/buy a used bass cabinet to play bass thru with the Super for now? Find a used 1x15, 2x15 or 4x10 bass cab and use the Super's amp, disconnecting the combo's speakers. Buy a bass amp head later for use with the cab.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:01 pm

C'mon, 2 of the right 10's, designed for bass, *might* "help".
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:50 pm

For the price of new speakers, you could definitely buy a bass cab. Easily found for $200 or less on craigslist
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:52 pm

he's right. speakers won't help if the back is open. the extension cabinet idea would work, but honestly, a bassist should own the necessary equipment. a fairly small size bass amp [i've never been able to keep up with a full band on anything less than 100 watts and two ten inch speakers (in a proper bass cabinet, mind you)] doesn't cost much more than quality replacement speakers. for the money you're spending on renting, you could get a decent combo amp that could be used for gigs and practice. my recommendation is the ampeg blue diamond bass amp. i've spent a lot of years learning the hard way that it's hard to sound the way you want to when you've got the wrong gear.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:16 pm

narcopolo wrote:i've spent a lot of years learning the hard way that it's hard to sound the way you want to when you've got the wrong gear.
tons o'wisdom there...

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:17 pm

He could always close up the back with a piece of plywood.
Carl Keil

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:06 pm

I have seen a few punks put a piece of plywood on the back of a combo to tighten up the bottom end.
The problem is, if its tube amp you may have difficulty accessing the tubes!
But really, get a resonable bass amp.
GK400RB, 200 watts. Sounds good for most style of music. Usually can be found for $300 or less.
Older Peavey cabinets are pretty good, if not light!
If you are dead set on replacing the speakers check out MCM electronics. They have some 10" speakers that would suit your application.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:10 am

I'm sure you could make some bass speakers work fine. But, as mentioned before, it won't likely be the best sounding bass amp, and you'd still be renting gig gear. There are several guitar amps I like for bass, but if you're primarily using it for bass, get a bass amp.

Your money is better spent buying something you can use and get to know rather than renting something. I recently traded some unused stuff for an Eden Nemesis 210 combo through Craigslist. I would think you'd be able to scare up a similar deal. There are always folks looking to get rid of stuff, especially these days. I see Ampeg rigs in my area for under $500 all the time. Sell or trade the Super and pick up bass combo.

+1 on the GK combos-- quite good and reasonably priced. I like my Nemesis pretty well, and Ampeg makes cool combos. Also check out some of the SWR Workingman's combos.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:37 am

He specifically says he wants a "crap bass amp", why is everyone trying to steer him towards something decent?
Carl Keil