The most useful thing for/about the SM57/58

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:34 pm

The XLR connector on my 58 was stripped out and kept falling out so I called Shure to see if I could order a new connector. The guy said "sure, how many you want?". I said I would take a couple and how much do I owe and he said "no charge"! Got a couple in the mail a week later. So that is another reason to love Shure mics. I am very happy to have my 58 back in action. Pretty great utility mic.
Last edited by chuckfurok on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 am

RodC wrote:Live sound...
Indeed. I love my i5 in the studio but live I often find myself putting it up, frowning, swapping in a 57, and smiling. At the studio we have one without a transformer but I think it sounds like junk, I really want to try the TAB transformer in it.
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:42 am

Ryan Silva wrote:It seems that most people when going for a dynamic have better options. SM7, RE20, 421, 441. But except for the 441 the 57/58 are the only hypers. So when you are looking for really good isolation, they seem to be the best choice.
Huh?

The SM57/58 are cardioid. The 441 is supercardioid.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:46 am

inasilentway wrote:
Indeed. I love my i5 in the studio but live I often find myself putting it up, frowning, swapping in a 57, and smiling.
If you are positioning the i5 as you would a 57, then you'll never like it. It takes some experimentation, but it's worth it.

jt
- Discs of Tron

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:48 am

thunderboy wrote:
Ryan Silva wrote:It seems that most people when going for a dynamic have better options. SM7, RE20, 421, 441. But except for the 441 the 57/58 are the only hypers. So when you are looking for really good isolation, they seem to be the best choice.
Huh?

The SM57/58 are cardioid. The 441 is supercardioid.

jt
I know, I know, I already got called out on that; don?t know what I was thinking.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:27 am

I have 3 uses that my 57's are my go to mic for. I almost always run the 57's through my N72's, I think that's an awesome comb. First off, top of snare, 'nuff said. I used to experiment with different mics, but lately, I haven't had jobs that allow me that kind of time. Set up the 57, and it gets a sound that doesn't make me want to cut myself.

Next, guitar amps, on the grill, if (and only if) the amp sounds really good in the room. A shitty amp will have it's shittyhood amplified by the 57, where my ribbons can actually make crappy amps sound decent. But a well-placed 57 can make a great amp sound, well, great.

Conga drums: I seem to record a lot of percussionists, and a pair of 57's will always do the trick.

Also, I once recorded an acoustic guitar, a really dark, detuned, John Fahey-esque kind of thing, with a 57 through the N72, with the input gain cranked and the output barely on, and it sounded huge. This trick has only worked on that one particular guitar so far, but it's still one of the best guitar sounds I've ever recorded.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:46 am

Hi-gain metal guitar cab
bottom of snare
screaming vocals

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:18 am

Word. Also, the 57 is my go-to VO mic for live narration for theater. Seems to cut through the PA better than any other dynamic mic.

One of the guys who got me started into recording had said you should be able to make a very credible recording with nothing besides SM57s and a 4 track. I still think to this day he's right, and for everyone who wants to learn how to do this, start there. How? Play with mic positions, particularly angling the mic to roll off some EQ.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 am

At a show the other night, I let our lighting guy use a 58 to hammer some pins back in a lighting truss! :D
insert witty comment here...

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:36 am

I have a pair of 57s, a 77, and a 58. The 58 doesn't see much use but I take it to gigs for vocals sometimes. The 57s and 77 get used on guitar amps and toms all the time. The 57s on rack toms pair well with the SM7 on floor. I've also had really good luck with a pair of 57s in XY with a LDC in the center on acoustic guitars. This setup with just the 2 57s won a shootout with my class back 12 years ago in audio class. I use an Audix D1 for snare although I loved 57s for this for years.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 am

57's are good for the following:

a. the president

b. this guy:

c. mic'ing dustcones... ha ha ha ha ha

mic'ing toms...for that lars ulrich - smacking tupperware sound

etc, etc, etc...

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:52 am

thunderboy wrote:
inasilentway wrote:
Indeed. I love my i5 in the studio but live I often find myself putting it up, frowning, swapping in a 57, and smiling.
If you are positioning the i5 as you would a 57, then you'll never like it. It takes some experimentation, but it's worth it.

jt
I've definitely seen that on snare, but every time I use it as a live guitar mic I miss the exaggerated presence and moving it around hasn't seemed to help. How are you using it on guitars?
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 pm

mic'ing toms...for that lars ulrich - smacking tupperware sound
I think it depends on the sound of the toms themselves as my results do not sound like Lars. I'm recording a vintage 60s keystone Ludwig kit right now with this setup though, not some heavy metal monstrosity. Of course, I'd love to have enough 421s to mic my toms but I don't and 90% of the time, the 57s get the sound I want with little EQ. As long as the heads are fresh, and and the drums are tuned for the sound you want, 57s seem to sound real good on the smaller toms. The floor tom definitely benefits from the SM7 although I could still probably get a good sound with another 57.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:40 pm

Another cool thing about my SM58 is that it is the oldest piece of "pro" recording kit I've got.

I think I bought it in like 1986.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:37 pm

inasilentway wrote:
thunderboy wrote:
inasilentway wrote:

jt
I've definitely seen that on snare, but every time I use it as a live guitar mic I miss the exaggerated presence and moving it around hasn't seemed to help. How are you using it on guitars?
Usually a bit closer to the center of the cone than "normal", though I really don't miss the 57's 2K peak that much. I actually use other mics on guitars these days, but the i5 can be great on just about any other instrument, in my experience. Best nylon guitar sound I've ever gotten.

jt
- Discs of Tron