The most useful thing for/about the SM57/58

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

The most useful thing for/about the SM57/58

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:10 am

Inspired by it's mention here and elsewhere, usually being dissed, I love these mic's, (and often their clones.)

I like 'em on electric and acoustic guitars and vocals, tamborine and other percussion, etc.

They may not always be the best choice for some things, (altho' they may be the only choice for us bedio-recordists), but they can always be made to work, and so for me, that is the most useful thing for/about the SM57/58.

OK, now wait, aiight, I'm tucked in and flame-retardant suit is zipped up. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:19 pm

they work. with a great preamp and the right source, they can be amazing.

i'm using two today, tracking basics for a power trio (i hate that term). one is on the vent of the snare drum, one is on one of the guitar amps (with a 4047 on the other) and both of them are sounding totally awesome. i wouldn't want anything else on those sources.

often, though, there is not a 57 to be found on my sessions, it all depends on the music, players, and gear.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:41 pm

In my experience, if the source is sounding right, a 57 is always useable.

It's not often the first mic I reach for, but I'm not one to complain about having to use one. I like them on toms, snare bottom, dobro, guitar amps (especially for leads/solos), or anything I want to sound sort of lo-fi.

I will also say, that when it comes to live sound, I vastly prefer 57s to 58s for vocals.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:57 pm

I've tried a handful of other mics on snare drum, but have always come back to the 57. It's also not bad as a dynamic for acoustic guitar, though I've lately preferred my sm7 if I'm gonna use a dynamic for that.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:30 pm

I'm with mjau. I use it on snare most often - as long as it's not right up on the skin I don't get that awful poorly-miced-live-snare sound. Sometimes I use it on an amp for close-micing with an condenser backed out. I also do like the sound of it on acoustic, but usually only when the acoustic will be in a full mix, not when it'll be a major part.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:14 pm

deleted
Last edited by Ryan Silva on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:38 pm

I really like them for a lot of things. Like MSE, i keep trying other mics on snare but I always come back to the sm57. Other mics may sound vastly better on the snare solo'd, but in the mix with the sm57's rejection etc. it just always sounds right to me. This is ALWAYS through my N72 pre. The 57 works with other pre's but that is the combo I can not get away from.

I feel pretty much the exact same way regarding sm57's on guitar amps except using an A12 or Germanium mic pre. I often use one with a 4047 condenser on guitar amps.

I have used them on toms, snare bottom etc. Vox not so much, I would go sm7 or 421 if I am going dynamic BUT they sound great plugged into a guitar amp for vocal distortion!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Live sound...
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:It seems that most people when going for a dynamic have better options. SM7, RE20, 421, 441. But except for the 441 the 57/58 are the only hypers.
The 57 is cardioid.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:00 pm

RoyMatthews wrote:
Ryan Silva wrote:It seems that most people when going for a dynamic have better options. SM7, RE20, 421, 441. But except for the 441 the 57/58 are the only hypers.
The 57 is cardioid.
Oops! dont know what I was thinking

:oops:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:47 pm

My favorite sounds I get are my guitar tones and it is usually a 57 on the grill.

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:47 pm

...and if you haven't already, try taking that transformer out! You'll need a lot more gain from your pre, but I find the transformerless 57 to be at least as versatile and useful as the original. It's nice on floor tom. And paired with my Hampton JFET it captured a female vocal very smoothly and with a lot of body.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:51 am

Out live I like to sing on a 57 because of how it looks. Really, I'm not kidding. I love how that mic looks.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:53 am

Wow! Glad I'm not the only one to appreciate the Willys jeep of microphones.

:lowers zipper 1/2" and adjusts previously un-disclosed athletic cup:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 pm

vvv wrote:Wow! Glad I'm not the only one to appreciate the Willys jeep of microphones.
Yup, they both roll pretty easy and crush you when things get going tough :)
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity