New MXL R44 ribbon mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:35 am

Thanx millions capnreverb!
Cool beans. Here's the story so far...
(BTW,. I just edited the links to the pix.)

Here's a pic of the basic MXL R44 package:
http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27 ... ackage.jpg

Note the nice molded plastic carrying case, shock mount, cleaning cloth, and spare elastic shock mount belts. Through MUsicians Friend, a 12 foot XLR cable was added, and MXL also includes a tech sheet on the mic, a beginner's pamphlet about mic use and an abbreviated catalog of their products. Biggest disappointment so far? The purple housing is really kind of a midnight blue, not the tumescent red-violet some pictures show.

Here's a shot of the mic with the outer housing removed:

The bottom collar screws off fairly easily. The threads beg for lubricant.

Here's a shot of the basket removed:

The yellow tape is pretty icky, like the "electrical tape" you'd find at a dollar store. It holds a couple of screens in place on either side of the ribbon, probably meant to protect it. I've now removed the tape and tossed it, and saved the screens, just in case.

Here's the "money shot" - the ribbon itself:
http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27 ... emoved.jpg

I don't know how clear it is to you all, but I see no evidence of "footbridge sag." However, the accordion folds get a little rumpled towards the base.

I won't be able to actually plug this thing in until at least Saturday, more probably Monday. Be patient. In the meantime, I can tell you that the mic feels decent. Not great, a little light, and the disassembly/assembly feels just shy of assuring. Parts fit together well, but it would be easy to overtighten or undertighten some parts. There are some naughty resonances on the body, too. The main body has a hard, high metallic pitch, and the basket gives off two distinct pitches: a G natural just below A440 from the side of the basket, and a C just above A440 from the top of the basket. These are not long, ringing tones, but short yet distinct pitches. I think a few thick rubber bands wrapped around the offending parts will minimize or eliminate these tones, and I'll also see what happens when I pull out the inner basket lining. Beyond that, I doubt if I'll get into swapping out the transformer or the ribbon or any other components, as it would probably exceed double the cost of the mic itself.

Hang tight, and I'll try to get some sounds out of this within a week or so.
Last edited by douglas baldwin on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote in residence
Music and writings
Psychedelic pop and ambient soundscapes a specialty
www.thecoyote.org

wd40
audio school

Post by wd40 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:55 am

thanks for posting these pics and your impressions.
It's great to get such a detailed overview. Can't wait to find out what it sounds like!

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:32 am

ShinyBox wrote:So I guess you have a new category( for those of you keeping score at home). long ribbon, long path...

Jon
From the pics, it looks like Jon was right. You could get lost on that path.

wd40
audio school

Post by wd40 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:12 pm

I'd be interested to hear M. Joly's take on these images.
From what I remember, most of the other "long ribbon/short path" motors I've seen have hour-glass shaped supports for the magnets, which does shorten the path in the center. I'm assuming that's for some sort of sonic reason??

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:04 pm

wd40 wrote:I'd be interested to hear M. Joly's take on these images.
From what I remember, most of the other "long ribbon/short path" motors I've seen have hour-glass shaped supports for the magnets, which does shorten the path in the center. I'm assuming that's for some sort of sonic reason??
The distance audio would travel from the front of the ribbon around the magnets and yoke to the back determines the on-axis, downward shelving frequency (high-frequency rolloff point) in these ribbon microphones.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:06 pm

Hey DB, thanks for the great pics!

As Jon so rightly fully pointed out, I may have created some confusion earlier in this thread when I called the R44 / R144 a "long ribbon / short path". Because I'd forgotten that manufacturers somtimes spec overall ribbon length and other times spec "active length" - the portion of the ribbon within the magnetic field. Actually in my article at Recording Hacks I got it right - this pic I provided shows a "long ribbon / short path" mic. The overall ribbon length is 66mm while the active length is 50mm. I mistook the R44 published spec of 47 mm as the "active length", when in fact it appears that it could be the overall ribbon length. Perhaps Douglas Baldwin can confirm.

If the mic is still apart the only piece of information we're missing is the actual ribbon lengh or magnet length in mm. Best to use a wooden or plastic ruler because the magnets will grab a steel one and potentally destroy the ribbon.

But based on your images I'd say the R44 / R144 is very similar to the FatHead / RSM-4 type of motor. This image from RecordingHacks.com shows the ribbon, magnet and path length dimensions so you'll be able to compare to your own R44 / R144.

Btw - the "scooped" or "dog bone" yoke is used to create a somewhat shorter front-to-back acoustic path length and thus maximize HF extension. For example, the minimum path length of an Apex 205 is 18mm while that of the FatHead type motor is 36mm. If the 18mm minimum path length was maintained for the entire length of the ribbon it would extend the HF response of the 205 by an octave over that of the RSM-4. But the "dog bone" yoke only offers an 18mm path length over a portion of the ribbon length so the resulting HF extension is not quite 2X that of the FatHead type motor. But the R44 / R144 is going to have earlier HF roll-off than an Apex 205 type mic.

Re: Headbasket mechanical resonances - great sleuthing DB! It will be interesting if you can tame these resonance with rubber bands or perhaps silicon goop. But I've generally found the goal of keeping the headbasket open-sounding is at odds with what it takes (solid surface area mass) to damp the mechanical vibrations.

I just ordered an R44 so I'll dig into it myself in a few days and report back.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:52 pm

Man, having a communal access to this info is mind boggling. I can't wait to order a Gomez and have audio access to this information!

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:15 am

terrific info and great pictures!!
Thank you all so much!

Im watching this thread with great interest. I'm a novice who has been very pleased with my cheap mxl products in the past . This wouldbe my first ribbon mic. cant wait to hear how it sounds to you guys
me make purty musick!

zachary
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zachary » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 am

ubertar wrote:By the way, it's looking more and more likely that I'll soon be offering my own ribbon mics at a price that will make the cheapest Chinese mics look expensive by comparison (probably $25). I guess you'd probably call these short ribbon, short path. I'll let you know more as I know more. These will be handmade, by me, and will be different from the other mics out there-- different motor, different transformer, different enclosure. Whether they're better or not we'll have to see...
this is by far the most exciting post in this thread!

I'd take 2.
trouble clef.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:20 am

zachary wrote:
ubertar wrote:By the way, it's looking more and more likely that I'll soon be offering my own ribbon mics at a price that will make the cheapest Chinese mics look expensive by comparison (probably $25). I guess you'd probably call these short ribbon, short path. I'll let you know more as I know more. These will be handmade, by me, and will be different from the other mics out there-- different motor, different transformer, different enclosure. Whether they're better or not we'll have to see...
this is by far the most exciting post in this thread!

I'd take 2.
Thanks. I am going to go ahead with these. I just got sample transformers for them and like the sound. My guess is I'll have some ready in about a month from now. I'm very pleased with the sound, but they do need a lot of gain. They'll be a little cheesy looking, but I guess that's part of the charm. :)
Once I have a representative prototype fully made, I'll post sound samples and pics.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:53 pm

:^: Yeah, Rock on with that.

I got my R44 but I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet...

jdmcgee
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jdmcgee » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:45 pm

I am sooooo anxious to hear how one of the R44/R144 sounds on vocals... Anyone?

Thanks In Advance,

jd

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:33 am

I had a bit of time to test the MXL R44 ribbon mic last night. There?s more listening to do, and much more information to be gathered, but these preliminary observations may help others and further the discussion on this exciting world of inexpensive ribbon mics.

The quick review: I like this mic a lot, especially for my guitar amp.

Caveat: This is the first ribbon mic I?ve owned, so many of my comments may be simply desribing attributes common to many ribbon mics.

The full review: I?ve already posted a description of the MXL package and Musicians Friend?s generous addition of a free12-foot XLR cable to the $100 price of the R44. I also took a few pix of the mic and discussed some of the physical attributes of the mic. You?ll find that post at the top of page 3 of this thread.

I tested this mic very informally, and with gear comparable to what most might use when purchasing a $100 mic. Specifically, I set up an MXL 990 condenser (with the internal basket crap removed) right next to the R44, about 2 inches apart, with their diaphragms as equal in height and depth as possible. I ran their signals into a Korg D1600mkII workstation, and monitored the sound with Polk 10A speakers powered by a Carvin amp. I chose the MXL 990, by the way, because I?m used to it and because I don?t own that many mics and I am not rich. (?Damn it Jim, I?m a guitarist, not a recording engineer!?) The room was about 12 feet by 14 feet by 10 feet high, with wall-to-wall carpeting, amps along one wall, my desk and recording gear on one wall, and books and CDs on the other two walls. It?s a moderately dead acoustic space.

After setting the mics up, I began by getting some levels while music played back on my speakers. Two observations here: 1) The figure-eight response of the R44 generates some really ?interesting? phase cancellation that the 990?s cardioid pattern avoided. In the center of this small room, capturing the sound of the speakers against the wall, the R44?s sound was hollow and a bit unfocused, with less definition than the 990 overall. 2) Having read so much about how ribbon mics require hotter preamps to achieve recording levels consistent with condenser mics, I was pleased to discover that the R44 was only about 6dB quieter than the 990. I had no problem getting a decent signal with the Korg?s preamps. Another interesting point: I had the Korg?s output up in the speakers at first so, of course, the mics fed back. The 990 generated the usual high-pitched squeals that we all know and love as ?microphonic feedback,? but the R44 generated a big, low note like a hollow-bodied guitar feeding back. I?m sure this was the ribbon oscillating, and I?ll bet any ribbon mic will do this, but it was very nice. I gave the mics a few taps with a pencil to hear what their baskets and bodies were doing. Interestingly, a really prominent set of pitches (noted in my earlier post) was unnoticeable on playback, but a bongo-like ?doink? was more obvious. A rubber band around the basket did nothing to minimize this sound, but it didn?t seem to figure in my recording anyway.

For my first real test, I played my J-45 acoustic (strummed and fingerpicked) and sang into the mics. They were set about four feet from floor, about 18 inches away from both my mouth and the guitar?s 12th fret, with no pop screen. There was definitely less sibilance and more of that ?old timey? sound in the R44. It was a nice match for the J-45?s woody midrange, but lacked the definition that I like to hear in both my voice and my guitar playing. On the other hand, the combination of the R44?s warmth and the 990?s hot highs made it very easy to mix the two. Together, these two mics make for one really nice mic.

Then I went to my electric rig. I played a Yamaha Pacifica (essentially a Strat with sing-sing-hum pickups) into a Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special (Class A amp, EL84 tubes) into a 2 x 12 open-back cabinet. I set the mics about four feet away from the cabinet, about 28 inches from floor, in the middle of a carpeted hallway, 5 feet wide by 10 feet high by 35 feet long. The R44 captured the amp?s clean channel nicely, and really worked with the overdrive channel. The 990 better caught the chime and air, but the R44 had lots of woody midrange and ? most outstanding ? a real nice ?cabinet thump? that I?ve never recorded before.

Then I opened up the door from the inner hallway to the outer hallway ? an L-shaped space about 25 feet down one corridor, 40 feet down the other, a tiled floor and bare sheetrock walls. Can you say ?natural reverb?? The mics were set up in the outer hallway, just outside the door at the elbow of the ?L.? The amp remained in inner hallway, about 17 feet away.

Oh my Gawd. What a beautiful sound. The R44 captured the space?s reverb amazingly well. I suspect that the figure-eight response worked naturally to give the attack transients priority, and then allowed the room?s ?bloom? to fill in. I could easily put an SM57 or 58 near the speaker grill and the R44 out in a hallway like this and just turn into a puddle of joy.

In summary: I still need to go back and listen more to what I recorded. There was some close-up talking that I passed over, and I still need to normalize the tracks, check carefully for peak overloads, test EQ possibilities, listen carefully for hum and hiss, etc. etc. etc. I look forward to really taking my time doing more A/B comparisons, and listening with a pair of Grado SR80 headphones. But my immediate first impression, last night, was that this is a great little mic, which, like so many of MXL?s budget mics, delivers a whole lot of whoop-ass for very tiny dollars. If you handle them carefully and do some simple mods (like removing the veils of inarticulation obscuring the path to the diaphragm) you can get some really excellent sounds.

If the tracks I recorded seem worthwhile, I?ll post them later as well. After some more listening, I'll pull all this information together and post it in the Mic Review sticky.
Douglas Baldwin, coyote in residence
Music and writings
Psychedelic pop and ambient soundscapes a specialty
www.thecoyote.org

Openreel24
studio intern

MXL R-44

Post by Openreel24 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 am

I am glad you have enjoyed the sound of the R-44.

Finally someone who actually listens to the mic before passing comment.

I hope it gives you great service.

Kind regards
MXL Sales and Marketing aka Openreel24

wd40
audio school

Post by wd40 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks for the run-down. Nice to hear your initial reactions to this mic. I would be really curious on how it stacks up to other cheap ribbons like the Fathead, Nady, Apex, etc...

Can't wait for M. Jolly's review.

BTW: I saw another new review of it here: http://www.studioauditions.com/gearrevi ... viewID=192