Good sounding consumer headphones?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Good sounding consumer headphones?

Post by Artifex » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:10 am

Anyone have good recommendations for sub $100 headphones to use while out and about that don't have completely shitty sound quality? I'd like to buy a pair for my girlfriend. I have a pair of Shure SCL3s that I like using, but she dosen't, if that's any reference point.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:36 am

For "out and about", me, I like the Sony MDR ear-buds.

They are the ones with the foam covers, as opposed to the rubber ones, US$12 and up; don't spend more than US$20.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Anyone else?

So headphones over $20 bucks aren't worth it in this range?

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:45 am

Artifex wrote:Anyone else?

So headphones over $20 bucks aren't worth it in this range?
Are you talking only in ear? If so, I haven't heard anything under $100 that I really care for. Currently using Futuresonic Atrios for my iPod and as IEMs when playing out. About $180, though.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:12 pm

I like the Sony sports buds with the clip that goes around the ear. Usually about $18 or so.

I mean, how much fidelity are you going to get from an ear bud?

And even if the answer is "a whole lot," can you really enjoy all that pristine/warm/harmonically-rich/whatever quality when you are out running around? In the mall, on the plane, walking down the street, or wherever... there's going to be a lot of noise.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:36 pm

FBH wrote:I like the Sony sports buds with the clip that goes around the ear. Usually about $18 or so.

I mean, how much fidelity are you going to get from an ear bud?

And even if the answer is "a whole lot," can you really enjoy all that pristine/warm/harmonically-rich/whatever quality when you are out running around? In the mall, on the plane, walking down the street, or wherever... there's going to be a lot of noise.
I agree with the ear bud style - you aren't going to get high fidelity from any that don't go into the ear canal and seal. The Shures that he mentioned and the Atrios are both sealed in-canal earphones. And yes, they work great on planes and places with a lot of noise. IMHO, the Atrios and others are as good, if not better, at isolating from outside noise as a set of noise-canceling cans(like Bose).
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:07 pm

I drank the kool-aid and decided to buy a 5-pack of Sennheiser 202's. I'm sending a pair to my sister for her birthday. They're not spectacular, but they're fairly accurate and offer decent isolation. Plus, they're, um, thrifty.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Chris Graham Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Skull Candy

Post by Chris Graham Mastering » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:47 pm

call me crazy, but the $15 dollar "Ink'd" headphones I got to mow the lawn and ride airplanes with are amazing. for out and about, they dominate. I a/b'd them with Shure e3's and thought the Skull Candy's sounded more musical.
Music Mastering Engineer Chris Graham
Get A Portion Of Your Song Mastered For Free At
http://www.ChrisGrahamMastering.com

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:57 pm

If you can dig the retro look at Koss Sporta Pros as they are special. Look for those, I got mine at CompUSA I think. Anyways, 20 bucks, they sound really really good for cheap headphones, they don't take that much juice and the kind of fold up and they have that cable to each ear which I hate but whatever they sound really good.

I had an ipod and some etymotic er4s stolen while I was at my brothers wedding. Anyways, those sound better and are really great in a plane, but for the poor love it is the sporta pro or you can struggle across some old sennheiser mx50s I think ? Little blue earphones that rock it.

I just got back from a bike ride with the sporta pros and I am glad I researched their purchase on headwise.com and the like.
I'm a bad man!

studiodog
alignin' 24-trk

Ink'd

Post by studiodog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:05 am

Second on the Skull Candy Ink ear buds - cheap and really not bad at all!

Also the senh. Hd80's are nice
"...because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Good sounding consumer headphones?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 am

Artifex wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for sub $100 headphones to use while out and about that don't have completely shitty sound quality? I'd like to buy a pair for my girlfriend. I have a pair of Shure SCL3s that I like using, but she dosen't, if that's any reference point.
Why don't you take some time and go with her to an electronics store, and let her pick the ones she likes?

Guaranteed good times for all, in this scenario.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:15 pm

grado sr-60s. fantastic sounding for sub-$100.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Good sounding consumer headphones?

Post by Artifex » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:21 pm

noeqplease wrote:
Artifex wrote:Anyone have good recommendations for sub $100 headphones to use while out and about that don't have completely shitty sound quality? I'd like to buy a pair for my girlfriend. I have a pair of Shure SCL3s that I like using, but she dosen't, if that's any reference point.
Why don't you take some time and go with her to an electronics store, and let her pick the ones she likes?

Guaranteed good times for all, in this scenario.

Cheers
Actually exactly what I decided to do. 8)

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:36 pm

for cheap closed phones that i can listen to for long periods i have found not much better than the Sennheiser HD 202.

they usually run USD $20-$25.

biggest downsides: somewhat hyped bass and slightly muffled mids compared to cans priced $100 and higher, but still listenable.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:09 am

Another vote for Sennheiser 202. I bought the 5 pack way back in 2004 or earlier and they have held up well for my personal use and sound real good. I am so used to the way they sound, a few rough mixes I've done on them actually translated well. For the money, you can't go wrong IMO.