Studio Projects B1 vs. MXL V67G on snare drum...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vintageblue
alignin' 24-trk

Studio Projects B1 vs. MXL V67G on snare drum...

Post by vintageblue » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello all.

I am looking at purchasing either a SP B1 or another MXL V67G (I already own one) to use as a workhorse LDC. I have used the 67 on gtr cabs, acoustics, male & female vocals, mono drum overhead, but have been hesitant to put it next to a snare.

The B1 includes two attenuation pads and I've heard people say it's pretty good on snare, but have not been able to try it myself.

Anyone have any thoughts? My apologies in advance if this has been posted elsewhere on the board; I couldn't find anything in searches.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:05 pm

I don't have experience with the MXL but I have with the STudio Projects B1 and that mic is pretty awful. It is so harsh sounding and the high end is so hyped I don't really see it sounding that good on anything. I have some inexpensive mics, but that one just sounds not good.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:35 pm

If it was me, I probably wouldn't be looking at an LDC of any kind to close mic a snare. An SM57 would probably serve you better there and then you wouldn't have to worry about the SPL damaging the mic. Maybe the MXL would work on snare farther away, but I would think it'd be better suited to overheads or room if you're going to use it on drums at all.

shakestheclown
takin' a dinner break

Post by shakestheclown » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:29 pm

I've been using a Shure SM86 lately on snare and it's killing.

Clear tones and excellent hi-hat rejection...

Love it.

vintageblue
alignin' 24-trk

Post by vintageblue » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:33 pm

shakestheclown wrote:I've been using a Shure SM86 lately on snare and it's killing.

Clear tones and excellent hi-hat rejection...

Love it.
Really? I never would have thought of it handling such a loud source.

vintageblue
alignin' 24-trk

Post by vintageblue » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:36 pm

getreel wrote:If it was me, I probably wouldn't be looking at an LDC of any kind to close mic a snare. An SM57 would probably serve you better there and then you wouldn't have to worry about the SPL damaging the mic. Maybe the MXL would work on snare farther away, but I would think it'd be better suited to overheads or room if you're going to use it on drums at all.
Well I've used SDCs on snare drums to good effect, and figured a LDC might give me the sound I'm after as well. I don't like dynamic mics because they have no high-end; I never feel like the recorded sound matches what's in the room. Never enough brilliance; that's where the "snap" or "crack" of a snare is found.

SDCs leave me wanting just a little bit more body to the sound on drums deeper than 6". I figured an LDC might be the way to go.

shakestheclown
takin' a dinner break

Post by shakestheclown » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:40 am

I don't know what loud is but Shure says it'll handle 124db...

I've been using it alot lately and pretty much get dissapointed if I can't use it for some reason.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:56 am

Unless you have a light hitter, I dont think either of those LDCs will handle the SPL without some distortion.

I would go for a MD441. You will swear it has the highs of a condenser, but can handle the loudest snare or guitar cab.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:01 am

beyerdynamic m201

that mic is amazing on snare... it is probably amazing on lots of things, but i almost always use it on snare.

also, a 57 can sound great with a good pre and some EQ...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 am

I've used the 67 on bottom snare, on which it totally excelled, but I would personally rather keep it there and use a dynamic on top...

vintageblue
alignin' 24-trk

Post by vintageblue » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 am

mertmo wrote:I've used the 67 on bottom snare, on which it totally excelled, but I would personally rather keep it there and use a dynamic on top...
Hmm...well if it handles well as a bottom snare mic, then she'll probably fare well miking the shell as well. You've given me hope! Thanks.

vintageblue
alignin' 24-trk

Post by vintageblue » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:34 am

toaster3000 wrote:beyerdynamic m201

that mic is amazing on snare... it is probably amazing on lots of things, but i almost always use it on snare.

also, a 57 can sound great with a good pre and some EQ...

john
Not a fan of 57s on snare drums. I've used both the SM57, Beta 57, and PG57, sometimes all three! I'm not a fan of EQing, so I avoid it if I can; would much rather fix the sound of the source or change/move the mic till it matches what my ears are hearing. To me the 57s rarely, (if ever) achieve that.

Do you know how much an M201 goes for used?

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:08 pm

I really liked the Bluebird on snare. Used it a few times there with success and got the sound you are describing. I hit hard.
Blah!

aaronaustin
takin' a dinner break

Post by aaronaustin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Heil Pr20 is my favorite snare mic. It always sounds great for me. I've used it on guitar cabs, fingerstyle acoustic, background vocals, so much stuff. I think it's a great workhorse mic. And, it's rugged enough to use live too.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:42 pm

I've used an SM57 with a lapel type Sony condenser taped to it with the capsules aligned as close as possible. Works well if you need a lot of pop but want some body as well. I used an old Sony ECM something. Can't remember what number but it was just a lapel mic with an XLR cable attached. It would run on phantom or a small battery. Nowadays I'm using an Audix D1 which is a dynamic designed for snare. It's been giving me great snare sounds with plenty of snap. I would imagine that it's much more common to use dynamics on snare than any type of condenser, but if you really need to hear that snare snap that much it may work for you.