Topaz Project 8 channels cut out and in

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Topaz Project 8 channels cut out and in

Post by Autodidact » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi,

I have a Sountracs Project 8 24 channel console (no meter bridge). So far I have used almost a whole can of Deoxit trying to get the pots, faders, and switches back in working (silent) order.

One problem I am having that I have not been able to fix is that channels 5 and 8 seem to cut out or dim substantially while recording and nothing seems to get them working again except cranking the gain and then they cut it (overload) and seem to work normal again for a while till it happens again.

I haven't used all the channels yet, so I don't know if other channels have this problem too.

Any info would be helpful.
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:33 am

Sounds like cold solder joints or possibly bad capacitors. You could try opening it up and reflowing connections yourself if you are so inclined.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:15 am

I've had an Allen & Heath and Mackie 32x8 do the same thing. I always assumed it was a bad cap in the preamp section. I was never able to figure mine out. Intermittent channels or preamps suck pretty bad.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Larry, I'm just starting out recording bands and what not and this a terrible problem! When I found out it was happening I "compensated" by just not using those channels, but it started happening to 2 consecutive channels and one other the other day while recording a band and that only confused the crap out of me as I continued to work. Very frustrating and embarrassing.

I'm kind of thinking of another newer board, although I'm pretty damn broke.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:02 pm

I had that same board and it did the exact same thing and I had to slam the gain to get those channels working as well. I took the board in to the tech and he said it was bad caps. He replaced them and fixed a bunch of other small things that needed work and that seemed to solve the problem.

Eddie
Autodidact wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

Larry, I'm just starting out recording bands and what not and this a terrible problem! When I found out it was happening I "compensated" by just not using those channels, but it started happening to 2 consecutive channels and one other the other day while recording a band and that only confused the crap out of me as I continued to work. Very frustrating and embarrassing.

I'm kind of thinking of another newer board, although I'm pretty damn broke.
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:41 pm

Leoplold,

Thanks for sharing your experience. How much did that fix run you? I'd like to keep the board, but that problem is a major hassle.

Also,

Does anyone know of a 'tech' that works on consoles and/or electronic equipment that can fix this in the San Diego area?

Thanks.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:19 pm

I don't remember exactly how much it cost to fix the board, I waited till there was quite a few things wrong with it before taking it in. I want to say it was maybe $350 or so.
If you can't find a tech, call the studios in town and see who they recommend.

Good luck, it's a good board, I really liked mine and tried to take care of it.

Eddie
Autodidact wrote:Leoplold,

Thanks for sharing your experience. How much did that fix run you? I'd like to keep the board, but that problem is a major hassle.

Also,

Does anyone know of a 'tech' that works on consoles and/or electronic equipment that can fix this in the San Diego area?

Thanks.
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:50 pm

wait! before you bring it to a tech! i had a topaz with the exact same problem on many channels. peeps told me to call steve m-somethingorother, the soundtracs guru guy who libes in florida(?). UTSF and find my old thread. i called him.

helluva nice guy.

told me to spray deoxit into each troublesome channel's insert 1/4" , and then "exercise" them by inserting a cable, then rotating it back and forth a bit. it might take a time or three, depending seems sometimes the connection gets stuck on them after a bit of non-use.

worked on mine! try it. hope it works.