mastering desk i am building tomorrow

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dynomike
carpal tunnel

mastering desk i am building tomorrow

Post by dynomike » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:33 pm

timely feedback appreciated! i have a very small window of time i have access to the shop... (tomorrow and wednesday!)

(2) 19" x 8U bays, plus tray for keyboard/trackball/monitor controller

the monitor will mount via an arm, attached on the top/back I guess. i will put my computer and stereo amp in the bottom of the cart so the only I/O will be 2 speaker cords and 1 AC cord. woot.

-mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:30 am

depending on what material the tray is made of, possibly add a brace across the front, say a piece of 1x3, underneath it. oriented vertically. If that doesn't make sense I could do a sketch but I bet you know what I am saying. are you planning to rabbet the edges of the sides to make the joints or will it all be plain butt jointed?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:17 am

Looks good to me. Be carefull with the monitor. If it's a big old one it might be heavy on an arm. If it's a newer flat screen you'll be fine.

I just built a few extra racks for my new control room and it was pretty easy and painless. I used a butt joint with glue and screws. If you do the same remember to have the sides sit on the bottom pannel. It's stronger and can handle the weight of the gear better.

It's hard to explain but it would look like this

I
I
___

not like this -

I
I----

Does that make sense?

Chris Graham Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Re: mastering desk i am building tomorrow

Post by Chris Graham Mastering » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:42 pm

dynomike, looks great, what program did you use to draw it with?
Music Mastering Engineer Chris Graham
Get A Portion Of Your Song Mastered For Free At
http://www.ChrisGrahamMastering.com

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:30 pm

An arm rest and or place to put a keyboard/mouse would be good to incorporate into the design unless that's going to be on a cart.

It's hard to tell from the design put it would be good to have the 2 - 19" racks at a slight angle so your not looking down as much.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:06 am

thx for the replies guys. it's all done now! cut all the pieces on tuesday, assembled and sanded on wednesday. i'll post some pictures in a second.

i did dado joints for everything except the keyboard/mouse/etc tray. makes assembly so much easier / stronger. glue and screws all around. yes, definitely made sure to have the weight on the bottom piece.

the middle pieces does support the keyboard tray from underneath.

the racks are at a 22.5 degree angle and are 8u each.

the monitor is a newish 24" lcd so it should be fine. universal monitor mount (the 4 holes on the back of the lcd panel)

i designed it with google sketchup. you should all download it, it's free! i'll post 3d model too if anyone's interested so you can check it out better.

did i mention it has wheels too? woo!! i'll post pics in a second. i am so happy with how quickly this came together... conception to reality in 3 days inclusive!
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:30 am

in place, kind of:

www.mikekuehn.ca