Resonators!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pablotf
ass engineer

Resonators!

Post by pablotf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:34 pm

I've been listening to "Lola vs. The Powerman & The Money-Go-Round, Pt. 1" a lot lately. As a result, now I really want a resonator guitar.

What are some decent, inexpensive ones I should look at? My budget is about $300-400. I've seen a couple of new models made by Regal and Dobro that go for about that. I think Fender also offers a couple of cheap, entry-level ones. A cool, vintage resonator that falls within my budget would be awesome, but I don't know if such a thing exists. I tried searching the archives but couldn't find any "which one to get" thread.

So, which ones do you like?

Thanks!
Pablo

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:27 pm

don't buy one off of the internet.

go to some place that has a bunch of 'em and walk by and plunk the low E on each one
until one of 'em makes you light up like a christmas tree.

You can always get it set up later to play great but it's gotta ring like a bitch right there on
the wall to even be worth picking up to play it.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:08 am

I bought a Regal for around $350 new.

It sounds awesome, though I don't have much frame of reference as to what a "great" one sounds like. Records well too.

I do need to get it looked at though. Seems the plate has loosened up a bit, and rattles a little.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:51 am

on the super cheap, Musician's Fiend sells both square and round necked spider resonator guitars by Rogue for $200 without a case.

mixed reviews.

what roscoenyc said about try before you buy, tho...not really possible with MF.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca