Shure KSM Ribbon Mic's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jspartz
buyin' gear

Shure KSM Ribbon Mic's

Post by jspartz » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 am

Has anyone had a chance to play with the KSM353 and KSM313 ribbon mics from Shure? I just saw them in an advertisement that caught my eye.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 am

Those look like the Shure rebranded models since buying Crowley and Tripp.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:51 am

They do look very similar, and the price seems about the same.

Wow are these the most expensive microphones Shure has ever sold?

They must have been trying to acquire a ribbon manufacture for years. I couldn?t believe that they hadn?t tried to put out a ribbon in decades.

This explains it.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:58 pm

I didn't hear that they bought Crowley and Tripp. I see it now. Still wondering how they sound... anyone?

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:51 am

These look like re-badged C&T mics, I dont know if they are any different. Im hoping sure makes some lower priced ribbons with the equipment/tech they acquired.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

wookie
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wookie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Shure did buy into C&T, there's actually a write up on Crowley and Tripp's website.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:35 pm

Audio Technica just announced some ribbon mics as well, along with a few others.

http://www.prosoundnews.com/article/24164

New York (September 14, 2009)--Audio-Technica has announced a variety of new mics, including ribbon mics, a stereo condener mic, multi-pattern condenser mic and a broadcast stereo headset.

Audio-Technica's R&D team in Japan engineered and manufactured the AT4080 and AT4081 Bidirectional Active Ribbon Microphones from the ground up, utilizing a hand-built, proprietary design. Both are said to offer smooth, warm and natural sound with precise, articulate detail to meet the requirements of today's recording, broadcast and sound reinforcement professionals.

Another new entry is the AT4050ST Stereo Condenser Microphone, a stereo version of A-T's award-winning AT4050 and one of the new offerings from A-T's expanding 40 Series microphones. The AT4050ST, developed in direct response to feedback from end users, is a stereo side-address externally polarized (DC bias) condenser microphone with independent cardioid and figure-of-eight elements, configured in a mid-side arrangement with switch-selectable internal matrixing. more...

Sponsored Link

The AT4047MP Multi-Pattern Condenser Microphone was developed in direct response to end users requesting a multi-pattern version of A-T's AT4047/SV. The AT4047MP, reportedly featuring a warm vintage sound with low self-noise, a wide dynamic range and high SPL capability, is a side-address externally polarized (DC bias) multi-pattern condenser microphone with three switchable polar patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid and figure-eight.

Finally, Audio-Technica has also introduced the BPHS1 Broadcast Stereo Headset with Dynamic Boom Microphone. The BPHS1 features closed-back circumaural (around-the-ear) ear cups that were designed to provide maximum comfort and ambient noise rejection with minimal ear fatigue. The BPHS1 also has a professional boom-mounted moving coil dynamic microphone that can be positioned for use on either side of the mouth. It is specifically intended and optimized for on-air or live news and sports broadcasting, announcing and interviews.

Audio-Technica
www.audio-technica.com