I ordered a Peluso 2247LE.. What can I expect?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

I ordered a Peluso 2247LE.. What can I expect?

Post by oldguitars » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:04 pm

I have used them on drum OH's with GREAT results. Acoustic guitar was really good too. Any other comments? good or bad?
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:09 pm

outside kick mic, yes!
it does work well as a vocal mic in cardioid, too.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:15 pm

outside kick would be cool. I typical use a speaker, but...

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:28 pm

Just got mine about a month ago, so I can't give an in depth analysis, but here's what I've experienced so far...

Already mentioned, but - outside kick drum is great. My starting kick drum setup almost every time now is e602 in, Peluso 2247LE out, and NS10 subkick.

Female vocals - wow! The clarity is amazing, top end detail for days without sounding harsh or sibilant (only tried it on two vocalists so far, but great experience both times). It absolutely killed one of the studio's u67's on one singer.

Piano. I typically start with a pair of AKG 452's with ck2 omni capsules spaced high and low on the studio's 1919 Steinway B grand piano (sometimes with a u47 in the middle). For a recent session I decided to try Crowley and Tripp Soundstage's for the spaced pair instead and put the Peluso underneath. Ended up blending a little of the Crowley and Tripp's for stereo width, but the Peluso definitely defined the sound. The studio owner who knows the piano inside and out by recording it consistently for a few decades was very surprised and happy with the results. Not only big and full, but probably a better "true" representation of the piano than we usually hear.

Electric guitar - not good. Tried on two different sessions and wasn't very happy either time. One was medium-loud rock guitar (Jazzmaster - Tube Screamer - Fender Twin) and it sounded fizzly, harsh, and unpleasant. The other was a lapsteel player which sounded better, but still not great. Once I moved it about 3 feet off the amp it was usable, but definitely no wow factor.

I also did a shootout on a male vocalist singing into the 2247LE at the same time as the studio's Telefunken u47. The Peluso definitely sounded good, but there's an instant and very palpable "magic" with the Telfunken and it became immediately apparent why the 2247 is $1800 brand new and the Telefunken is worth 4 to 5 times that. The Peluso definitely lacked a certain midrange richness, but it had a lot more clarity and top end. Of course, the u47 is 50-60 years old and was used around cigarette smoke and spitting vocalists all that time while the 2247LE is brand new. The bottom end was in the same ballpark with both mics, but the u47 was definitely the winner for big low end. I'm looking forward to trying them both out next to each other on a bass cab because I generally love the u47 on bass a few feet back.

Lastly, I widened the cardioid pattern to not quite omni and recorded my band doing live demos in our practice space from about 12 feet back. We're an angular rock band in the vein of Sonic Youth, Dino Jr, Unwound, etc. with drums, two guitars, and a bassist/keyboardist. Listening back to the demos was great. Everything was relatively balanced and clear and the most striking thing was it didn't sound like a one microphone practice space recording. It didn't sound like a polished record either, but everyone was happy enough we discussed putting in some time and effort to balance the levels really well and try to get a real recording with just the one mic.

It has now passed the sniff test at the studio with producers Ryan Hadlock and Phil Ek too. Each of them have tried it and been happy with the results on sessions I've assisted them on in the past month.

I'll update if I have any other experiences with it soon.

-Doc

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:58 pm

Wow Doc. Thanks for your input! I can't wait to put it through it's paces.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:52 am

You can expect a mic that doesn't do well with loud singing.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:00 am

doesn't do well with loud singing? that is unfortunate.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:07 pm

doc wrote: Already mentioned, but - outside kick drum is great. My starting kick drum setup almost every time now is e602 in, Peluso 2247LE out, and NS10 subkick.
Dang Doc, you have room for the ns10 sub kic with the other two? e602 has so much bottom.. i'd fudge it all up.

However, will be in SH next week and was thinking about using my e602 inside, 4047 outside like usual, but adding the sub kick just cause it would be there.. might as well.

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:10 pm

Not all three mics make into the mix every time, but sometimes they do. I've usually used a u87 outside which is okay or a Soundelux u195 which never excites me (and I'm actually thinking about selling), but the 2247LE is absolutely blowing me away. If I'm blending in the NS10 I'll usually roll off some low end on the e602 or change placement to get less low end and more of whatever I'm after.

Funny though, when I first got the e602, I was blown away by lows it put out. But when I heard it next to the NS10, it definitely made me redefine my idea of big bottom end. It made me view the e602 in a new way and I started to better understand the midrange and high end that the mic has to offer.

Have fun at SH Mr. Trodden!

-Doc

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:16 pm

doc wrote:Not all three mics make into the mix every time, but sometimes they do. I've usually used a u87 outside which is okay or a Soundelux u195 which never excites me (and I'm actually thinking about selling), but the 2247LE is absolutely blowing me away. If I'm blending in the NS10 I'll usually roll off some low end on the e602 or change placement to get less low end and more of whatever I'm after.

Funny though, when I first got the e602, I was blown away by lows it put out. But when I heard it next to the NS10, it definitely made me redefine my idea of big bottom end. It made me view the e602 in a new way and I started to better understand the midrange and high end that the mic has to offer.

Have fun at SH Mr. Trodden!

-Doc
Cool. the e602 does have a lot of useful stuff in between and above. I'll check out the sub kick for sure.

Let me know of anything that comes along with that vespa Sir Doc.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:33 pm

oldguitars wrote:doesn't do well with loud singing? that is unfortunate.
It is unfortunate.

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:10 am

I gather you don't care for this mic?

infiniteposse
alignin' 24-trk

Post by infiniteposse » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 am

I've had a 2247LE for a year or two. I use it on and off for a vocal mic in cardiod and it works about 75% of time. On a couple of female vocalists it's been a little too sibilant. It seems perhaps slightly more consistent on male voices, but in fairness, I seem to be working with more men than women, so I've got less practice with female vox and this mic...

I've tried it with drum OH's for a while and while it was ok, it wasn't the be all end all for me. The cymbals came out a little too forward and bright for my tastes, but I've got a small room and a fondness for darker cymbal sounds, so that might explain that.

The other day I did have a eureka with it though. I tracked group vocal harmonies around it in Omni in my upstairs (10 foot ceilings/hardwoods) and while I listened downstairs on the monitors it was like the singers were in front of me. The singers could hear it in the headphones, too. I was wondering if it would translate into the recording and it did. Just a 3D kind of feeling, which I've never had before, which probably says more about my skills than any other piece of gear:) I did the same omni/group vocals technique downstairs in my control room space (7 foot ceilings/carpet over bamboo floors/closer trapped walls) and we got another great 3D recording of the voices. One of the singers said "That's money." Indeed.

I'm looking forward to exploring the mic in omni more. I read somewhere certain multi-pattern mics have a sweet spot in certain settings, but I've never experienced it that clearly.

Great thread though. Really nice to not have a debate about whether it's an accurate 47-ish copy or not (it's not) and talk more about how it actually sounds in the real world and what it's good at.

Looking forward to more comments.
Lee
www.mysterymachinestudio.com
??It doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters.? Neil Young

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:47 am

I favor dark cymbals and drums too (old drums, 20's 15" NOB snares etc) and I liked the shimmer and air it puts on the kit. Mine should be getting in sometime today or tuesday. I really look forward to trying it on acoustic guitars...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 am

oldguitars wrote:I gather you don't care for this mic?
I've used 3 mics with Peluso capsules and I just don't like the way they deal with loud singing.