ubertar ribbon mic-- sneak preview of new version on page 23

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:21 am

Me three. :( The wood frame had also come unglued from the strainers too, though, so I'm not too surprised.

I'll maybe try to mess with it once the semester's over, but I don't have the time now.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:26 am

wren wrote:Me three. :( The wood frame had also come unglued from the strainers too, though, so I'm not too surprised.

I'll maybe try to mess with it once the semester's over, but I don't have the time now.
I'll send you another one. Dwlb, if you can't fix yours, I'll just send you another one too. I used different glue this time connecting the wood to the strainers, thinking it would be better, but it wasn't.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:10 am

I've retested all the ones that haven't been sent, and they're all good. I've reinforced all the glue with hot glue, so there should be no further glue problems, either. Have to leave for work now...

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:34 am

Wren and dwlb... I just sent you guys new ones this morning. Please send the other ones back when it's convenient.

I've got about 20 or so more that should be finished today. I'll post names of who needs to pay, and send PMs.

I'm going to stop taking new orders for a little while... everyone who's asked for one so far will get one. After that, I want to take a break to do some R&D. Just to be clear: if you've posted to this thread that you want a mic, you will get a mic, before I take this break.

suppositron... I didn't send you another (yet) b/c it sounds like it may not be the mic, but the pre. Or maybe you guys are all expecting more output from these than what they've got, I dunno. Every mic has been tested (at least) twice before being shipped. Even if the glue comes loose, they should still work fine. I'm using a new glue this time, so that shouldn't be a problem in the future, and I'm sending them marked as "fragile", for what that's worth.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 am

ubertar wrote: suppositron... I didn't send you another (yet) b/c it sounds like it may not be the mic, but the pre. Or maybe you guys are all expecting more output from these than what they've got, I dunno. Every mic has been tested (at least) twice before being shipped. Even if the glue comes loose, they should still work fine. I'm using a new glue this time, so that shouldn't be a problem in the future, and I'm sending them marked as "fragile", for what that's worth.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's a combination of a quiet source and my crappy mbox. I'm gonna take it up to my space and try it with my 002 and half stack. That outta do it! Thanks though.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:21 am

Ok, so I've got batch 3.5 ready...
I've got 23 mics. 3 of those I'm setting aside in case anyone has problems and needs to send one back. Some people from earlier haven't paid yet, or haven't been able to schedule coming by, so I'm carrying them over to this list. Please put your TOMB handle name in your paypal message, so I know who's who, and your address, if paypal doesn't already have it. Thanks.

Current list:

1. toaster3000
2. spindrift paid
3. jgimbel
4. jmliqt
5. snoopy 23
6. curha
7. standup paid
8. matthew in philly paid
9. minorkeylee (2) paid
13. bantam
14. ipressrecord
15. visible cow
16. stoneman paid
17. austingreen paid
18. slam
19. gutsofgold

Those above the solid line got in before the price change. Below the line are at the $35 price.

The new glue I'm using for holding the motor to the strainer seems to be working much better than the previous glue, so hopefully there will be no more problems. All mics have been tested and are working properly.

There are 20 more people left on the list after the people listed above, for 21 mics... I'll start working on those. At this time, I'm not taking any new orders temporarily. Once the complete list is done, I'm going to take a break to do some R&D, to try to increase the sensitivity and durability, as well as offer some new options. So stay tuned...
Everyone who has requested a mic will get one, before I take the break. PMs with payment info for the people listed above will go out shortly.
Last edited by ubertar on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:17 pm

I figured I'd take a break today and play some guitar... and with all these Ubertar Cereal Box Toy Surprise mics laying around, I thought, why not plug one in and record it. So here's a new demo of the current state of the mic. There's no processing on it whatsoever, not even normalization. The preamp (ATI M-1000) is set with the gain half-way up, and my Fender Champ is on 7 (out of 12). The guitar is a Squier bullet. If you listen to the end, you can hear when I shut off the amp and the recording is still going... so you can hear how much of the noise is from the guitar/amp, and how much is from the mic (hint: it's mostly the guitar & amp).

http://www.ubertar.com/november09_ribbon_demo.MP3
edit: never mind my noodly nonsense-- listen to allbaldo's track one post below this...
Last edited by ubertar on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Here's a link to a song a friend and I recorded using ONLY the Uber-ribbon and a Portico preamp. I got the mic yesterday afternoon, and did this in about 3 hours.

Drums were done with the mic about 2 feet from the kit in between the kick and snare. I could have gotten a better kick drum sound, but we were going fast.

Bass from about a foot away in front of an Ampeg 15".

Guitars from about a foot away in front of Fender and Crate combo amps.

Vocals from about 6 inches away with a pop filter.

I really like the mic!! It's great for a lot of things. I'm looking forward to a little more time with it. Nice work Uber!!

http://stephenegerton.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=16

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:32 pm

ubertar wrote:Wren and dwlb... I just sent you guys new ones this morning. Please send the other ones back when it's convenient.
Hey, thanks so much man. I really appreciate the work you're putting into making sure everything works as it should even though you're still kind of experimenting as you go along and I'm sure it means extra work for you.

Do you want me to send the mic I have now back to you? If nothing else you could use the transformer and strainers for another mic.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:00 pm

wren wrote:
ubertar wrote:Wren and dwlb... I just sent you guys new ones this morning. Please send the other ones back when it's convenient.
Hey, thanks so much man. I really appreciate the work you're putting into making sure everything works as it should even though you're still kind of experimenting as you go along and I'm sure it means extra work for you.

Do you want me to send the mic I have now back to you? If nothing else you could use the transformer and strainers for another mic.
The answer is in your quote of me. :) Send it back when you have time.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:55 pm

allbaldo wrote:Here's a link to a song a friend and I recorded using ONLY the Uber-ribbon and a Portico preamp. I got the mic yesterday afternoon, and did this in about 3 hours.

Drums were done with the mic about 2 feet from the kit in between the kick and snare. I could have gotten a better kick drum sound, but we were going fast.

I really like the mic!! It's great for a lot of things. I'm looking forward to a little more time with it. Nice work Uber!!

Dude, nice job. That sounds great! :D
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:33 pm

ubertar wrote:
wren wrote:

The answer is in your quote of me. :) Send it back when you have time.
Hah...D'oh! That was because I meant to reply to your original response to me earlier in the week, but I didn't have time at the time. I didn't even look at what I was quoting, obviously. :oops:

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks! I had a blast doing it. More to come.

T-rex wrote:
allbaldo wrote:Here's a link to a song a friend and I recorded using ONLY the Uber-ribbon and a Portico preamp. I got the mic yesterday afternoon, and did this in about 3 hours.

Dude, nice job. That sounds great! :D

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:24 am

Wow, thank you very much! I had a friend in from Austin this weekend and hadn't had time to look at the mic, so I'll just pop it in the mail on Monday. That's fantastic, Paul.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

slam
audio school

Post by slam » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:02 pm

Very cool tune allbaldo, and a great demonstration of what this mic can do. Thanks.