Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:35 am

ubertar wrote:
dwlb wrote:
ubertar wrote:
dwlb wrote:Just got mine today. It looks awesome, and Ube wasn't kidding about being careful plugging the thing in.

It does seem to have the lots of handling noise/next-to-no-signal issue though. So I guess I'm gonna have to find the instructions in this thread and do some surgery.
Damn, that sucks. All the new ones have the copper foil connections, and all of them were tested before I sent them out, so that shouldn't be happening. Something must have come loose during shipping. If you can't figure it out, send it back and I'll fix it free or send you a new one. Rrrgh. How frustrating. I guess I oughta have them mark these as fragile from now on. This really bums me out. My apologies. You shouldn't have to do this.
Yeah, I was bummed too. I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it going.
Dwlb, got the mic back yesterday, and tested it today, and it's working perfectly. So I'm not sure what the problem could have been. How did the replacement mic I sent work out?
That's very strange. The new mic works better than the previous one did. Sorry for the trouble.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:09 am

dwlb wrote:That's very strange. The new mic works better than the previous one did. Sorry for the trouble.
No trouble at all. Maybe it was something intermittent. Seems to be fine, though. If you get a chance, post something... I love hearing what people do with these. I'm glad the new one is working out for you.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:27 pm

So... these are the people I'm still waiting for. I'll be away from tomorrow noon-ish til Monday. It would be awesome if I got back and there are a bunch of "You've got money!" paypal emails in my inbox, and/or PMs for setting up a day/time to pick them up. It's hard for me to get motivated to make new ones, when there's a pile of these waiting to go out.

toaster3000
jmliqt
snoopy 23
curha
ninethirty
firesine
bantam
ipressrecord (has contacted, no worries)
slam
gutsofgold
Last edited by ubertar on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 am

Not to be pushy, but at what point do we stop waiting for people to pay, and move on to the next batch? I got $35 burning a hole on my Paypal pocket.

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 am

yeah... I'd be interested in one as well.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:11 pm

yep same here!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm officially one less person holding everyone up. It's been a couple weeks of ramen for me! Anyway, Paul you've got money from me. I didn't know where to tell you that, as I recall at one point you said your inbox was completely full.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:23 am

jgimbel wrote:I'm officially one less person holding everyone up. It's been a couple weeks of ramen for me! Anyway, Paul you've got money from me. I didn't know where to tell you that, as I recall at one point you said your inbox was completely full.
Thanks. I'm pretty swamped with work right now for my teaching job-- so I probably won't have time to send it out until Mon or Tues.

If some of the other tail-draggers could pay in the meantime, it would save me multiple trips to the post office. Otherwise, I guess the thing to do is move those folks to the back of the line, and start moving down the list.

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:52 am

I'd like to order 2 for the next batch they sound really excellent

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:57 pm

i'd like one, please.
this is my current band
http://bearstorm.bandcamp.com/

this is my old band
http://www.myspace.com/thehotdamnsrva

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:03 pm

Where do I sign up? Is there a website with more details on this mic? I'd love to try it out...

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Ack! Actually a couple pages back I said I was going to finish out the (then current) list, then take a break to do some R&D before taking any new orders... I guess I should put that in my sig to avoid confusion. I had no idea these were going to be so popular... I just wanted to try making a ribbon mic, and was already getting custom transformers made for something else, and figured why not get some ribbon transformers and make back the money (because they have to be bought in bulk) by selling some of the home-made mics. So what was originally a way to subsidize a fun experiment has turned into a business, which has outperformed my hex pickup business as far as demand goes. Which is a very cool thing, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm overwhelmed. I'll have some time off from work at the end of the month, and I intend to get all caught up then, but right now things are really busy with my teaching job and I probably won't have a chance to make any new mics for at least a couple weeks. I've also been really inspired musically lately, and I'm dying to have a chance to record some stuff, but there's just not a lot of time. So I apologize for the delay... eventually everyone who wants a mic (or two, or three) will get them, but it's going to take some time. Thanks for your patience.

I haven't put these on my website yet, or anywhere outside of TapeOp, because I can't keep up with the demand just from this messageboard at this time. So the only info available is what's in this thread. If you have any questions, just ask.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:28 am

I am still interested too, I inquired back on page 15. Keep me posted. thanks.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

ubertar wrote:I've also been really inspired musically lately, and I'm dying to have a chance to record some stuff, but there's just not a lot of time.
I don't know to what degree others would agree, but that it's so much more important, like 1000% more important. It's an empty feeling when you have the time but not the inspiration. When you just have music kind of coming out of you it's such the opposite, I wish there was a less cheesy word than full, but it fits. You've been so great to supply all these handmade mics to us, I'm sure people could understand your need to create some music. Then again, I'll be getting one soonish so I guess I'm not a good representation, haha. By the way, I'm in no hurry at all, don't rush to send my mic out if you don't have others to send out too. Use that extra 15-45 minutes saved to make some sweet-ass music.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:34 am

jgimbel wrote:
ubertar wrote:I've also been really inspired musically lately, and I'm dying to have a chance to record some stuff, but there's just not a lot of time.
I don't know to what degree others would agree, but that it's so much more important, like 1000% more important. It's an empty feeling when you have the time but not the inspiration. When you just have music kind of coming out of you it's such the opposite, I wish there was a less cheesy word than full, but it fits. You've been so great to supply all these handmade mics to us, I'm sure people could understand your need to create some music. Then again, I'll be getting one soonish so I guess I'm not a good representation, haha. By the way, I'm in no hurry at all, don't rush to send my mic out if you don't have others to send out too. Use that extra 15-45 minutes saved to make some sweet-ass music.
we can ALL wait for the mics if you got your own music to record :D
jgimble is so so correct.

I requested one a few pages back before the move to R&D. I dont check my inbox here too often, so i worry I will miss the email asking for payment, but other than that, I have no problem waiting indefinetly, especially if you got your own music to record...man, thats what its all about right?

rock on ubertar, have a fantastic holiday season and get some of that musical inspiration captured.
me make purty musick!