Moderators: drumsound, tomb

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:09 am

I hope I get a purple one.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:31 am

sorry for the delay, haven't been on for a bit. will paypal shortly, and thanks!

minorkeylee
gettin' sounds

Post by minorkeylee » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:44 am

Just so I'm clear....You will PM with paypal info when you're ready to ship? Thanks.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:19 am

minorkeylee wrote:Just so I'm clear....You will PM with paypal info when you're ready to ship? Thanks.
That is correct. There are orders for over 40 mics now... this first batch takes care of the first 10. I'll make the next ones soon (they're partly made already). I've been busy today installing a hex pickup/custom single coil package in a Gibson SG, with individual on/off switches for each hex coil, and a master on/off rotary for the hex. I had to do some routing to fit all the wiring in there... feels sacrilegious to cut into a Gibson, but the end result will be cool.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:42 pm

ubertar wrote:
minorkeylee wrote:Just so I'm clear....You will PM with paypal info when you're ready to ship? Thanks.
That is correct. There are orders for over 40 mics now... this first batch takes care of the first 10. I'll make the next ones soon (they're partly made already). I've been busy today installing a hex pickup/custom single coil package in a Gibson SG, with individual on/off switches for each hex coil, and a master on/off rotary for the hex. I had to do some routing to fit all the wiring in there... feels sacrilegious to cut into a Gibson, but the end result will be cool.
Paul, you're a madman; I thought installing your hex in my Strat was a big deal even though it went smooth for me. I can't imagine having the coconuts to cut into an SG and do the On/Off switch thing. Having fun with the hex though on a new tune. Thanks again for such brilliant work.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks. Yeah, there's no way I would have done that to my own Gibson! :) But that's what this guy wanted. I made a custom-wound single coil and put it in the same humbucker cover as the hex (type 1). The single will be wired like the humbucker it replaced, so you have the choice of the remaining hb, the single, or both out the 1/4" jack. Then you've got the hex with on/off toggle switches for each coil, and a master on/off rotary, going to a 7 pin jack, then to a turbo box. On top of that, he's got a Roland MIDI pickup, and I'm adding a 13 pin out to the turbo box, so he could use my hex for MIDI too. It will definitely be a unique guitar. He's got a cool aftermarket trem bridge on there too... I forget what it's called. It's not a Bigsby.

I'm doing a similar thing with a few Epiphone SGs, without all the switches. The Epis are actually more work, b/c there's no pickguard and the wires go through a long, narrow hole from one pickup rout to the next to the electronics cavity, so getting stuff through there is a PITA.

dubh dubh dubh
gettin' sounds

Post by dubh dubh dubh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:20 am

good lord, it's a dream come true! PM'd ye, mistah.
http://tinyurl.com/fbookDUBH and

I mix/engineer/produce/reduce & make gear heinously misbehave in delightful ways.

parkinson's:it's not just for grannie anymore.
http://www.michaeljfox.org/living.cfm

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:10 pm

dubh dubh dubh wrote:good lord, it's a dream come true! PM'd ye, mistah.
Cool. Got you down for two. This thread is the sign-up list. All requests will be honored in the order received. When it's your turn, I'll pm you with paypal info.

I went hunting for more strainers yesterday, and hit the mother lode, so I've got enough now to make around 60 or 70 mics. I'd be making more today, but I've been sick. Thanks everyone for your patience... it won't be long now.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:31 am

Got mine! It's a thing of beauty. This is seriously exactly what I want all of my gear to look like.

Sadly - I can't put it through its paces yet - all of my toys are in boxes waiting for their new space to be finished. Probably won't be able to wait for that, though... I'll probably end up busting out a rogue setup tomorrow just to fiddle with it a bit.

Anyways - thank you, sir, for being a madman. If this thing passes any sort of sound through it at all, then you've got yourself one happy customer, here. :-)
tra la la

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:39 am

Just remember... ribbon mics in general need a lot of gain, but this one needs a lot compared to other ribbon mics. That's why the noise floor was so high in my sample. Don't be freaked out by that. These work best right up to the grill on a guitar cab, with the amp cranked.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 am

Just wanted to say thanks! Mine just arrived this morning. Looking forward to firing it up!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm hoping folks will put up some samples of their new toys as they arrive to their respective homes!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:51 pm

ReAmping some tracks through my DeadRoom right now using the ribbon. Going to play a bit tonight while I can. Will record a bunch of stuff tomorrow and post.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Got mine today too. Red and blue strainers. Hoping to get a test going in the next couple days. Was planning on using it for a session today, but the session didn't happen...
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:24 pm

The strainers themselves are pretty delicate, so be careful when plugging/unplugging.