ubertar ribbon mic-- sneak preview of new version on page 23

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:43 pm

I recorded new versions of both songs, adding new parts, tightening them up, etc. I used the EV V2, because it was set up and ready, so instead of hijacking my own thread, I'll redirect you here: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 912#582912
The links are the same as before-- the old links get you the new versions.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:54 pm

Yes. Must not hijack thread. I am, however, quite engaged with this idea of 24-hour recording, or some similar silliness. Perhaps I shall start another thread, as the time approaches.... If, however, I wind up using the ?berribbon extensively I'll post linkage.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:15 pm

I've got mics ready for the remaining four people on the list: sfsonarboy (paid/shipped), Arran Fisher, norsehorse (paid/shipped) and chovied (paid/shipped). I'm going to be sending out the mics I owe bulph (shipped) and Peter Austin (shipped) tomorrow... any of the people above who pay before I go to the post office tomorrow can ship tomorrow too. Check your pm box...
Last edited by ubertar on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:55 pm

that second clip is awesome! great job.
this is my current band
http://bearstorm.bandcamp.com/

this is my old band
http://www.myspace.com/thehotdamnsrva

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:32 pm

payment sent, thanks ubertar!
me make purty musick!

sfsonarboy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sfsonarboy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Payment sent - big thanks!!

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 am

Here's a sneak preview of a new ribbon mic design...

The motor is made of brass, instead of wood (no more popsicle sticks). I've also tried out the 2.5 micron aluminum. The new design has A LOT more output than the original, about twice as much, and with the 2.5 micron stuff, it's even more. And with each increase in output, there has also been a corresponding increase in sound quality and frequency response.

Here's a clip of me talking, with A. the original version, B. the brass motor with original ribbon, and C. brass motor with 2.5 micron aluminum.

http://www.ubertar.com/comparison.MP3

I've also been working on a new housing, which is just as cheesy/funky/cool as the original, but more functional. It fits in a standard mic clip, doesn't have the problems of the original with plugging/unplugging, and comes in 4 groovy colors: green, blue, yellow and pink. These are plastic, and I may also have a "deluxe" version in wood. Ribbon motors, with or without transformers, will also be sold "a la carte", so you can put it in your own housing, and/or experiment with other transformers.

Coming soon... so stay tuned...

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 am

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:47 am

Sweet. Can;t wait until these are available. Any thought on a price yet?

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:18 am

Hallogallo wrote:Sweet. Can;t wait until these are available. Any thought on a price yet?
Right now I'm thinking $75 for a complete mic, 95 for the "deluxe" wood version, 45 for a motor alone (what's pictured above is the ribbon motor, but it'll have the cloth screen on front and back which isn't in the pic, and the connecting wires are there, but you can't really see them in the pic) and 60 for motor plus transformer. I'll have pics of them in the new enclosures fairly soon. I don't have any of the wood enclosures yet-- if people seem interested, that'll move things along more quickly. Also, I'm planning on making a whole bunch of these in advance, so there won't have to be waiting lists-- you can order your mic and get it right away.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Did a new version of the eleutherotonal guitar 15 tet piece, using a new ubertar ribbon. I used an original one at the same time, and used it for the reverb (100% wet).

http://www.ubertar.com/15tet_eleuthero2.MP3

I did some EQ on the new ribbon, boosting the mids and lows a bit... it's fairly bright for a ribbon. There's noise reduction on the old ribbon, but none on the new one. No compression or anything else, except normalizing.

Oh, and I slowed the piece down quite a bit. It was just too hyper before.

And just so I don't hijack my own thread... if you want to discuss the piece, please do it here: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 384#584384
If you want to say something about the sound of the mic, use this thread (the one we're in).

karisass
audio school

Post by karisass » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey i've been reading this post and I'd be really keen to give one of these a try, sounds like its right for what i'm trying to do any chance of sending one to New Zealand?

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:21 am

karisass wrote:Hey i've been reading this post and I'd be really keen to give one of these a try, sounds like its right for what i'm trying to do any chance of sending one to New Zealand?
I'll send them anywhere... once they're ready. Right now I'm really busy with other work, and I still have some experiments I'd like to try, when I have time. I also made a long ribbon version of these, which sounds really nice. The ribbon is twice as long. I'm not sure if I'm going to offer the long version for sale-- unless I can get one of the parts custom made at a reasonable price, they're too much work to be worth it. The ones I posted about will be available... but not quite yet. Stay tuned.

sean k
audio school graduate

Post by sean k » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:12 pm

New Zealand again, I most probably know the other guy even :lol:

Anyways just joined, built something using a planar ribbon, in the course of playing with carbon capsules, basiclly just playing with all the assorted little pressure pickups I have lying about..

Good golly, I could go on for hours...

Anyways, have you published the making thereof in these pages and if so which page would that be?

I was rummaging through the local radio and electronics warehouse recently and picked up a small capsule with two magnets on the back, I was looking at the carbon ones, and disregarded the one with two bar magnets and I can vaguely remember not seeing a ciol frmer so it may very well have been a small ribbon capsule. I'm going now to buy it... I'm sure it'll still be there.
http://artyone.blogtown.co.nz/
Hello, my names Sean and I'm addicted to being curious!

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:44 am

Just curious if there was any updates.