I'm now SM57 free!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:48 pm

losthighway wrote:I think the anti-sm57 attitude is just a kind of elitism. I mean, in fairness, it's often not the best microphone to use. I seldom use mine any more. Nonetheless, people wouldn't be so hard on it if it wasn't so ubiquitous.

It's much like U2 in that way: hasn't aged well, but still has done some good work. It's hip to hate the sm57/U2 because they have become the Miller Lite of microphones/rock music.
i dunno - i think it's just a pendulum swing.

everyone will hate ribbons in a few years - mark my words.

"ugh. they are like, so dark, no detail and just too wooly and muddy. pass me one of those sweet chinese condensors man."

the thing that's funny about it is there are people who make fantastic and great sounding records using lots of 57s. so the mic clearly has it uses!
the new rules : there are no rules

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:51 pm

I agree. When I read that TJ Doherty interview and he talked about how many 57's were on the Wilco record, I was shocked.

ofajen
pushin' record

Re: I'm now SM57 free!

Post by ofajen » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:15 pm

drumsound wrote:I shipped out my 57 to madtho in a trade for a Heathkit signal tracer turned guitar amp. I soooooooo get the better end of the deal, and I haven't even heard the amp yet.

I still have the broken one to remind me...
I still have two, I think. About the only thing I seem to use one for is the vocal input to my vocoder. It does fine for that. Oh, and they are a good choice when my kids are in the studio and want to sing into a mike. :)

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:20 pm

joninc wrote:
i dunno - i think it's just a pendulum swing.

everyone will hate ribbons in a few years - mark my words.

"ugh. they are like, so dark, no detail and just too wooly and muddy. pass me one of those sweet chinese condensors man."
I hope you are right! I should be able to get some good deals then... "Sure, I'll take all those crummy AEA mikes off your hands! Heck, you box 'em up and I'll even pay shipping!" Yup, I'm ready for that day.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby