(Another) fun article about Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

(Another) fun article about Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska

Post by kayagum » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:20 pm

http://www.tascam.com/article%3B34,2036,330.html

We all have heard about how he recorded it. Not so much about the mixdown and mastering. Interesting stuff.

I decided to search online after hearing "Atlantic City" on the radio last night, and reremembering what a great atmosphere that record has. And I don't even really like Springsteen.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:18 pm

that's great.
I knew a lot of that story but loved reading the details.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Very cool.

So, what model Panasonic boombox?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:31 pm

love that record. anytime you can fit the 'sound' of a record so well to the music, youve got the recipe for a potential masterpiece.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:43 pm

great article! that record completely blew my mind, and the story is such a classic. i think the lesson for engineers is how important it is to really listen to what the client is going for. and to own an echoplex.

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:31 pm

My wife and I always go back and forth over "Nebraska" and "Ghost of Tom Joad". We're both huge Bruce fans (as well as Steinbeck) and I swear that "Nebraska" is the most important record ever made (I acknowledge the unruly level of bias combined with Tequila at this very moment), but I never get tired of that story. I've posted the link more than once and thank you for posting it again. Always an inspirational read for the home recordist. Given the recent discussions about the SM57, I'm sure this could be a ... wedge issue????

Either way, I love that album. My wife does too, but she gives "Ghost of Tom Joad" a slight edge.

Sean Robinson
audio school

Post by Sean Robinson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:00 am

I became obsessed with Nebraska over a year ago and was really hurting coming down, thinking there was no where else to go for that fix. But recently, hearing the first Boss album, I was pleasantly surprised. No over-the top drum sound, no ridiculous synths... I was very pleased.

Of course... it doesn't have that magical sound... but what does? The second Elliot Smith album is the only thing that really comes to mind...