Anyone used ProRemote or ProTransport???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Anyone used ProRemote or ProTransport???

Post by ThePitz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:40 pm

http://www.folabs.com/

Is what i'm talking about. Essentially programs for iPhones and iPod touches that enable you to control your DAW, to varying degrees, from as far as your wireless network will reach. There's a $100, a $40 and an $8 dollar version.

I just got the $8 one, which just controls the transport, but I haven't had a chance to use it 'cause the entirety of my studio is in crates and boxes, ready to move into a new space. (TUESDAY!)

I record myself quite often and, if it works, the ability to hit stop and record from an iso booth or from behind the drums for eight bucks would be unbelievable.

Apparently it's mac-only right now, but can be configured to work with pretty much any DAW. Has anyone tried this out? I have high hopes.
tra la la

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 pm

Haven't tried it. I use a tranzport and it works really well. I'd love to know how the iPhone apps work though. That would be so cool if I had both.

Beardaby Jones
ass engineer

Post by Beardaby Jones » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:33 pm

Got it last week, it's pretty rad, not very practical for a control surface but im sure it'll come in handy one day when i have to be in another room and have to engineer while playing and can use the transport

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:19 am

I got Protransport but haven't done much with it yet. I love the idea though. Pretty great for when I'm engineering myself or listening to mixes and don't want to get off the couch.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:33 am

i have protransport and cant get it to work with snowleopard running logic 9, the support is great though so we are working through the issue. alex at folabs has tested this setup and should work. ill post if we find any obvious watchouts.

vitamineli
audio school

Post by vitamineli » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm particularly curious how users are getting around that typical iPhone interference we all know and love. Since the phone is transmitting to and from the DAW, it must be getting picked up in the mics. Maybe they're just keeping it in there, like an extra added bonus, like a Public Enemy sample?

Eli

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:32 pm

wireless wouldn't, you could put it in airplane mode if you don't want your monitors to freak.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm actually using an iPod touch. So - no worries on interference, etc... I tested it and it seems to work fine, but I still haven't used it to actually work with.

Pretty excited about it. Would love to get this sort of thing working through a tablet-style computer. It'd be so nice to sit back in a lazy-boy and mix a track by sliding your fingers on a screen.
tra la la