BusyBoxSt7
steve albini likes it

Post by BusyBoxSt7 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:16 pm

coo.

blackmac
audio school graduate

Post by blackmac » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi Stephen, Nice room!

I see you're on MAC Pro Tools and if you're rolling LEOPARD I didn't see anyone mention SPACES. I have 2 22" LCDs myself, but the Mac Spaces feature is TOTALLY Sweet!

If you check it out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! The big thing for me was to only use the MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON(in the Spaces System Preferences bottom right) to trigger the Spaces (Default is FOUR screens which in my case is FOUR DUAL screens) but you can have as many as 16! Zoinks!

To put a window in another SPACE all you have to do is drag the title bar to the edge of the screen= and hold it for 2 seconds, then you fill the 'new' screen with it.

At first I was doing the 4 main windows separate Spaces: EDIT, MIX, MIDI & SCORE

Then I realized I could fill some of my Spaces with lots of COOL Master METERS & Important PLUGS, SENDS & Output Meters (my window config screen of VCAs!) There are tons of possibilities!

AND You can save the whole thing as a Window Configuration preset! I predict a Kenny Gioia video on his next round, because it really is slick - and Kenny is the master of slick Pro Tools ideas!

PS I was at TapeOpCon 06, 07 & PLC 08! Wanted to go to HocoFest to see John Doe & Exene do that Acoustic set at Congress Street this year but I couldn't swing it! Oh well!

Good luck in your LCD quest & all the Best :)
bmd
"Keep it on the PT" - the Positive Tip
Wired For Music studios at www.wfmwfm.com

BusyBoxSt7
steve albini likes it

Post by BusyBoxSt7 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:56 pm

blackmac,

I don't have leopard yet (cause PT8 for HD costs more than I want to spend at the moment just to get take lanes (the main feature I'm looking forward to there), so I'm behind on the whole spaces thing and have only a foggy clue what you mean... However, my main question on duals relates to using a dual setup as a single screen (edit window spread across 2 screens).

This is the most inspiring screen setup, just in terms of coolness and acoustically (although maybe not for setting paper on).
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachme ... oom_35.jpg
from this blog
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-tra ... max-2.html

I'm about to order the 28" which will be big enough to use by itself, or I can place my 21 next to it, likely turned vertical, and experiment w/ the whole dual thing whether used as a single huge screen or a 2nd screen for plugs and such.

blackmac
audio school graduate

Post by blackmac » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:38 pm

Gotcha! Sorry to sound like such a fanboy about SPACES but it's really cool.

I imagine you've done your 28" research, I was pretty surprised when I saw these 28" Hanns on Newegg for $299. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-24254026

Best :) blackmac
"Keep it on the PT" - the Positive Tip
Wired For Music studios at www.wfmwfm.com

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:20 am

Re: edit screen spread across two screens. At home, I work one large screen, love it. At a friend's place often, rocking edit across two medium screens - it messes me up. Do not like.

BusyBoxSt7
steve albini likes it

Post by BusyBoxSt7 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:15 pm

Yeah, that's the 28" I ordered, no way I could afford any other brand for something as small beans as a screen.

THANKS TO ALL for the feedback. I'm doing 28 +21 (already have that one), w/ the 28 as the main deal and the 21 just sorta optional to leave certain plugs on or other programs or whatnot.

BusyBoxSt7
steve albini likes it

Post by BusyBoxSt7 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:21 pm

The 28" is treating me well. Really can't picture working w/ a crack down the middle of the screen all day.... the extra inches horizontally have definitely made for less side to side scrolling and expanding/contracting the mix window. worth the $300 I think.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:41 pm

best Pro Tools shortcut ever for dealing with screen real estate vs 'I want to see it all':
Command+Option+Control+W - Hide All Floating Windows

BusyBoxSt7
steve albini likes it

Post by BusyBoxSt7 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:14 pm

thanks, I'll have to try that one.... i was pumped the first time I realized you could click on the bullseye and a plug would stay open while other ones did, or the day I figured out how to drag a same instance of a plug to a new place... yeah, I never got any training in pro tools :)