Auralex Q'Fusor. Opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Auralex Q'Fusor. Opinions?

Post by musikman316 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:34 pm

Has anyone on the board used these? I was thinking of employing them along my side walls, so it would be 2' x 4' Corning Panel/2' x 4' Q'Fusor/2' x 4' Corning Panel. And then also as an 8' x 4' diffusor above my mixing position. Any thoughts?

I currently have GIK Tri-Traps in the corners as well and I'm happy with the low end of my room, I'm just looking for a little more control at my reflection points on a budget.

Thanks!

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:08 pm

They're pretty shallow, which means they'll have a very narrow effective frequency range.

I'm generally not a fan of diffusion on ceilings unless you have very tall ceilings. Even then, I generally prefer absorption.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:36 pm

I was wondering about their (lack of) depth being an issue. Auralex doesn't seem to have a frequency response graph related to the product, all it says is that it is effective down to 800Hz, which is my case is technically fine, but I wonder what the curve looks like and how effective it is from 800Hz to 20+kHz.

Maybe I'll just buy a box and try them out, it's only $280.00!

Josh

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:14 pm

The way I assess diffusors is to "talk into" them. Hearing a diffusor close up tells you more than test data. I'm a huge fan of test data! But not so much for diffusors because IMO the rights things aren't always measured. This video lets you hear various diffusor types close up:

All About Diffusion

Once you've seen this video you'll know what to listen for when you audition the Auralex type at Guitar Center or wherever.

--Ethan

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:17 pm

Agreed. Diffusors are rarely effective all the way out to 20k. They usually have a bandwidth. I don't know the specs for the Qfusors, but it might be something like 800Hz-1100Hz or whatnot. Who knows.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:19 pm

And not to be too snarky, but there is a reason they are so cheap.

Good diffusors are very labor-intensive to build. This is why our diffusors are by far our most expensive panels.

That said, give them a shot, see if they work for you. Just make sure the place you get them from has a good return policy if they don't. :^: