live solo/looper setup

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CDT
pluggin' in mics

Post by CDT » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:17 am

Brian Brock wrote:
CDT wrote:I'm reading up on mobius with foot controller now..might just go laptop and midi foot controller...
That's the software that basically emulates an Oberheim Echoplex, I think. I played with it a little.

If you're going to go computer then I would think it's Max/MSP all the way. That's what Pauline Oliveros was using at one point, and for that matter huge numbers of other people.
I've read over the site for Max/MSP and it seems like one can design their own custom rig...wow. I've not delved into midi much, how hard is it to get up and running with Max/MSP as compared to something like mobius? any experiences with a laptop based live looping rig?

thanks...

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:48 am

I think there's a whole community of people sharing max msp stuff, but I don't really know anything about it. Once you throw a computer into the mix, you also have to have some sort of interface, and then the number of devices and cables gets unwieldy, I think, but it can work.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:29 am

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:24 am

Man that demo aint gonna sell shit. I'm sure there's some great features on that unit though.

Here's how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAI3QgssxKA

He's using an echoplex unit but I don't see anything that can't be done with the rang and a small mixer.

(skip to the last 3 minutes or so if you don't like dancing hobbits with super guitar chops:)

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:37 am

Harry wrote: (skip to the last 3 minutes or so if you don't like dancing hobbits with super guitar chops:)
Thats only cool if there is some sort of satanism thrown involved. And the hobbits are eating flesh.... delicious human flesh...

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:18 pm

wow, he's really got his thing figgered out now. I saw that guy back when I was into hobbits with guitar chops, like 1999 or so, and he just barely had the looper going, like he would try to loop a conga rhythm and it just wouldn't come around at the right place, etc.

The kind of thing he does at 2:20-2:40 is hard to get right.

I'm still staying off the hobbit wagon, though

The looperlative is another good looking box - I haven't read about it since a few years back when it was more a prototype, but my impression was that it was going to be essentially a stereo oberheim echoplex.

I notice that Williams is using hands on a mixer

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:27 pm

... correction: hands and nose on mixer

CDT
pluggin' in mics

Post by CDT » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:58 am

keller williams...technical badass but bores me to tears...I like that he's doing his thing though.

thanks for the link, I've now watched a few of his vids to get an idea of his setup, then I found it online (who knows how old)..and it's mixer-based.

the looperlative looks great, just expensive..just like an echoplex if you can find one...

I'm going to play around with the software loopers some, might fall into some new creative space. found one called ambiloop: http://www.ambiloop.com/

thanks, chris

CDT
pluggin' in mics

Post by CDT » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:16 am

..and you guys have been a lot of help, thanks.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:58 am

also check out loopersdelight.com, especially for their exhaustive documentation of looping devices, and this:
http://www.altruistmusic.com/EDP/

should be interesting even if you don't use the echoplex

CDT
pluggin' in mics

Post by CDT » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:52 pm

yeah, loopersdelight.com is where I first started reading a few years ago and purchasd my 'rang because of their info...it is a great site. the mailing list is busy...

CDT
pluggin' in mics

Post by CDT » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 am

thought i'd touch base. I've been working with ambiloop and audiomulch, interfacing thru a firepod...so far ambiloop is my favorite, it's like an 8 track tape delay...audiomulch is really cool to quickly patch up effects and signals and make noises...i'm going to try a virtual cabling program to interface (hopefully) ambiloop and audiomulch. mobius is too archaic for me at this point. I'll try max/msp/jitter later on..it's more expensive.

wookie
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wookie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:39 pm

Hey, I'm a little late to the game here, but I think I've a suitable idea.
You would need 2 ABY boxes and one AB.

Run your usual setup into the Yamaha
Assign each instrument to a different Subgroup out (if panning doesn't matter in your setup ) or two Subgroups and an Aux.
Route these sends (123) to
1 to A of one ABY
2 to B of the same ABY
3 to A of the AB
Then take the two outputs of the switchboxes into the second ABY (stays in Y mode)
Output of the last pedal goes into your effects/loop chain, the output goes back to another channel on the mixer (not routed to any of the above outputs)

Should work, and the first two boxes are stompable to control what instruments are in the loop!