DIY Tape Op mics - where have all the instructions gone?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:51 am

thanks for getting these plans back up everyone. time to make a pair!
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:29 am

A couple mods I'd be interested to figure out.....

1) Is there a way to protect this thing from phantom power, on the off chance someone plugs it into a hot input when I'm not looking?

2) Is there a way to make the capsule directional?

I certainly wouldn't mind spending more to make these happen. Even if it doubled the cost, it would be worth it.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:56 pm

CurtZHP wrote:A couple mods I'd be interested to figure out.....

1) Is there a way to protect this thing from phantom power, on the off chance someone plugs it into a hot input when I'm not looking?

2) Is there a way to make the capsule directional?

I certainly wouldn't mind spending more to make these happen. Even if it doubled the cost, it would be worth it.
1: Yes - buy a couple more of those huge capacitors, and put them in series between the mic circuit and output XLR pins 2 and 3.

2: Yes - buy the WM-55A (now the WM-56A?) cardioid capsule.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks, Scodiddly!

Since you're being so darn helpful, one more dumb question.... :)

I just want to build the thing as originally designed (no phantom power).

Is it still possible to take advantage of the Linkwitz mod without wiring it for phantom power?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Just as an aside, the 9 volt power supply for these will also power a modded rat shack PZM (that would be the common mod that's everywhere online).
I made a pair of these way back when and remember really liking them at the time. I haven't used them in years though. I'd love to make a dummy head with a pair of these. If only I could get off my ass and do it.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:42 am

Scott:

I've been to your website and I'm very intrigued by your "Alice" mic. I'm considering taking a stab at building one as soon as I finish my Gyraf G7 (still scratching together the funds to buy the capsule).

Great work!

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:44 pm

so i'm getting around to gathering parts and stuff, i have a few things laying around my space so i've figured that i may be able to use to make a go at it. got a couple questions on the power supply because i don't happen to have exactly what the instructions spec out, and i wanted to make myself a first stab at this using the radioshack omni capsule before i actually do a parts order, and screw up that stuff with my electrical inexperience. i'm probably just going to experiment and see what happens but if anyone has any words of wisdom, it would be greatly appreciated.

the instructions say to use a 10 uF mylar or metalized film capacitor and not to use an electrolytic!

1) why not electrolytic? could i not use a 10uf tantalum cap? is it because electrolytics can be polarized?

2) i have a 1 uF metalized film cap, can i use that instead of the 10uf, would that make a difference sonically or is it just a question of keeping the circuit electrically sound?

enlighten me if you would, otherwise i'm just gonna experiment and post my results, woo!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:34 am

Film caps sound clearer than electrolytic.

1uF would be OK, though. LF response might not be as good, but I think I built one with that value and it sounded fine. If you're building this yourself you could change it later.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:39 am

thanks scott, good to know. yeah i will be building these on a small circuit board so it would be super easy to swap components later. i figured i'd try building some stuff with readily accessible parts first since my only diy stuff up to this point are cables. oh and i'm using your alice mics as a bit of inspiration for the housing as i wanted something a little more robust than the xlr connector deal, i'll post clips and pics whenever i finish this up.

thanks again!

mr.adambeck
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mr.adambeck » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:02 am

Digikey has been out of stock on the capsules for these for a couple weeks. Does anywhere else stock them? Thanks!

creaturesleeper

Post by creaturesleeper » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:55 pm

jgimbel wrote:
CurtZHP wrote:
jgimbel wrote:Awesome, now I just need to figure out how to read a schematic (even one as simple as that)! I'm good with soldering but I've never done anything at all with a circuit.

PM me if you get stuck.
Thanks, I can almost guarantee I'll be contacting you soon!
I just ordered some cartridges so I'll be in the same boat soon...it look's fairly simple though...We'll see what happens!

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 am

creaturesleeper wrote: I just ordered some cartridges so I'll be in the same boat soon...it look's fairly simple though...We'll see what happens!
Where did you order them from? I can't find them in stock anywhere.

creaturesleeper

Post by creaturesleeper » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:34 am

mr.adambeck wrote:
creaturesleeper wrote: I just ordered some cartridges so I'll be in the same boat soon...it look's fairly simple though...We'll see what happens!
Where did you order them from? I can't find them in stock anywhere.
digikey.com part#WM61A... I called em an they said the one it specifies is obselete and directed me to a different one but the freq. response is way worse. The WM61A seems to have the exact same specs. Its in page 1 of this post somewhere. They should have em I just ordered a couple.
Good Luck!
Oh if you care to compare this is the one they directed me to 102-1725-ND but I don't think it's as good.

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:54 am

Oh, I just realized I misunderstood the site. I had already gone there a couple times looking up the same part. When you go to that page, it says Quantity Available and then "0". I assumed this meant none was available, bu I just entered in an amount I'd like and it tells you whether that's possible or not. :oops: Duuuuuuh. Thanks!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Wait wait, so is WM61a available or not? What is the part that they directed you to that doesn't seem as good? If you're not using that, what would you recommend?