Can someone with a knowledge of faders help me out here?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Can someone with a knowledge of faders help me out here?

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:16 pm

What is the difference between the 1st and 5th fader shown on this page? http://www.mouser.com/ALPS/Passive-Comp ... ?P=1z0vkp2
I mean, other than cosmetics?

The first one is much like the faders in my Yamaha PM2000 console that I'm looking to replace but the price is pretty high.

Does the cheaper one not have a carbon track or something? It looks pretty slim. I'm wondering if there is some sort of mating part that goes with it. What makes the expensive one better, if anything?
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:20 pm

I honestly know little about faders other than..how to use them..but just from a look at them, The more expensive one just looks like it has a longer throw (is that the right term?) I don't think one is slimmer than the other, just the longer one has to be shown a little smaller to fit it in the photo, so it's taken from a little further back than the shorter one, which fits in the photo closer up. That's just from a look though, I can't comment about any electronics of it.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Assuming you had them sorted by availability, the first one is a 60 mm K fader. K dafers use a pretty hefty mechanism with rails and linear bearings to give it it's action, and a separate construct to do the resistance. They feel good, last a long time, and are easy to clean.

The 5th is just a garbage fader like you'd find in a cheap mixer. The mechanism and resistance are more closely bound. They don't feel as good, and are impossible to really clean or lubricate.

Electronically, they're interchangeable.

If you want cheap K faders, look up Audio Maintenance in the UK.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:47 am

If you want high quality conductive plastic faders for about $50, get the Tokyo Koon Do's.
www.ralaudio.com
I have my console loaded with them, they are excellent. Some are so smooth they slide by themselves if you hold them vertical. Not recommended for vertical mounted consoles, the faders will not stay up.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm

If they are the same, what is the difference between an A and B taper? Is one linear and one audio?

CA

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:10 am

Hmmm...That link is a little treacherous. It's giving me things in a different order today than it was Saturday. So talking about "first" and "fifth" is almost arbitrary.

And, yes, A vs B is audio vs linear...but not all pot manufacturers agree on which is which. Caveat emptor, and read the datasheets carefully.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Yeah, the link is now irrelevant.

Anyway, as I was comparing measurements to my faders, I realized that none of those ALPs faders will work. They have 'throw' lengths of between like 30 and 65mm.

That is so short. I don't get it. It's like they're for those little miniature 4 channel soundcrafts or something. My faders throws lengths are 130 mm.

Thanks Scum for the recommendation concerning Audio Maintenance. It only appears there is one kind of fader though. I haven't looked into the measurements yet, but that's a good price.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:14 pm

130 mm?

And that's the throw, not overall?

I've never met such a beast. 100 mm is very common (with the overall assembly being about 130 mm long), but 130 mm throw is uncommon.