Windows 7

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

What OS do you rely on for audio production?

Linux / FreeBSD
2%
Mac OS
47%
Win XP
38%
Win Vista
7%
Win 7
7%

Total votes: 45

antilog
george martin

Windows 7

Post by antilog » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Any experience out there with Windows 7 and Cubase 5 / Wavelab 6 / Presonus drivers? I've installed Windows 7 on my laptop, and like the refinements over Vista.

For what it's worth, I had a hell of a time getting my Firestudio Project working with my laptop w/XP, until I upgraded to Vista out of desperation. I worked pretty good since then, and works great after Presonus updated their drivers.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:22 pm

I have recently installed Windows 7 on my laptop at work and also at home.

I have used Cubase in the past and am currently recording with Reaper. I realize you asked about Cubase specifically, but I can say that so far, everything that I have installed on Windows 7 has worked out of the gate. My software, plug ins, drivers, everything.

In the couple of instances where I have need to install a driver that was older or intended from Windows XP or Vista, I have just installed it under the mode of XP or Vista.

In 7, if you go to the properties of the install file, it gives the the option to choose the "legacy" operating systems. It has worked for everything so far.

FWIW, I never went to Vista. I am jumping straight from XP to 7...

So far, so good. It's all working well for me.

Good luck if you choose to go this way.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:28 pm

The IT manager where I work has been beta testing Windows 7. He loves it. Says it's screaming fast, and can't make it crash.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:38 pm

I may just dust off my Core 2 Duo PC and give up on the Mac if Win 7 works this good. I'll wait for the release date though.

CA

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 pm

ladewd wrote: I'll wait for the release date though.

CA

I'd even go as far as waiting for the first service pack release. By then most of any bugs should be worked out.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Win7 no longer in beta or release candidate, the full release version is available, and stable. I wouldn't wait the 6months or however long for a service pack, it is running well for me. I'm going to setup a test partition to test it out with my audio apps and interfaces, eventually.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 am

Sorry for the dumb question, but would it be safe to say that if I'm on XP Pro SP3, all I need to do is upgrade to W7 and everything should be fine? Meaning, I don't need to uninstall any of my programs or change settings?

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:07 am

BTW - on Saturday morning I installed Win 7, cubase and drivers, and was recording a couple hours later, no issues.

RE: xp > win 7: XP is a relatively old OS (released 8 years ago). You'll need to backup your data and reinstall apps. Do some googling on xp windows 7, and you'll find details.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:21 am

L-ROX wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but would it be safe to say that if I'm on XP Pro SP3, all I need to do is upgrade to W7 and everything should be fine? Meaning, I don't need to uninstall any of my programs or change settings?
IMO that's *never* a good idea. Not only are you trusting the new OS, but you have to trust some updater program to update your unique install properly. It might work, but it's always best to install from scratch.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:24 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
L-ROX wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but would it be safe to say that if I'm on XP Pro SP3, all I need to do is upgrade to W7 and everything should be fine? Meaning, I don't need to uninstall any of my programs or change settings?
IMO that's *never* a good idea. Not only are you trusting the new OS, but you have to trust some updater program to update your unique install properly. It might work, but it's always best to install from scratch.
According to Microsoft, no update from XP to 7, so it's moot...

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks, I will hang with my XP system probably until my new system build; it's really stable for me and I really don't have any issues, other than the 3.5gb RAM limitation, so that's what would interest me in 7.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Probably a good idea. I don't recommend it in your situation unless you are a masochistic PC nut. I started using it because my laptop hard drive failed and figured I'd test out w/ Cubase and my ZED R16. Works great, using a SSD as my system drive.

lambchop
audio school graduate

Post by lambchop » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:50 pm

I'm curious! All of you that are using Windows 7, are you running in 32 or 64 bit? If I'm not mistaken, only the 64bit version will acommodate the 16 gigs of RAM. Personally, I'm currently running Cubase on Win XP and have max'd out the RAM (4 gigs, approx. 3 gigs usable) and haven't heard about any benefits using the 32bit version. Can someone maybe enlighten me? Thanks!

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:07 pm

According to MS, Win 7 32 limit is 4GB, 64 limit is 8GB-192GB, depending on the version

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

I installed 32 bit because I have 4 GB RAM, but mostly due to previous experiences with poor 64 bit driver support and stricter driver signing enforcement. If you have access to both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7, then it may be worth the time to test the 64 bit version with your hardware and software.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:07 am

This is how I did it. I installed the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions... dual partition on a new hard drive. That way, I was able to keep my XP drive as well, so if I ran into any problems I could just boot back into XP and record.

After about a week of playing with settings, I basically gave up on the 64 bit version. My motherboard is about 3 years old and I have an Athlon 64 bit processor.. the operating system seems to work fine. However, once I fire up Reaper, I am getting pops and dropouts on anything below the highest latency settings. Also, noise when I move object around on the screen.

I have the latest drives for my hardware... I think the problem is with the motherboard drivers. Gigabyte just doesn't have enough demand to update a board as old as mine.

It doesn't matter, though. Windows 7 32 bit is running like a champ, and my motherboard maxes out at 4 gig of RAM anyway.