What interface for this unconventional (but pro gear) setup?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

2pints
audio school graduate

What interface for this unconventional (but pro gear) setup?

Post by 2pints » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:59 am

My pro sound experience includes the music world, but is mostly in film and video production (hence the gear I would like to use in this setup). I'm also a guitar player. For context, you can consider this pertaining to a basic project studio setup. My audio-in needs are relatively simple: mainly voice, mic'd acoustic guitars, mic'd electric guitar amps, maybe a bass plugged directly in. Rarely more than one or two channels/tracks at a time.

I'm migrating from an older Mac dual processor PPC system to a new setup based around a Mac Mini (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB internal main SATA HD, 1TB external media FW800 HD in G-Tech enclosure, external backup USB 2.0 HDs in G-Tech enclosures).

I have long had a Motu 828mkII as my audio in/out interface. However, over time I have found it to be overkill and unnecessarily complicated for my needs. As I do a lot of music listening I also wanted better sound out - a better DAC and headphone amp.

My audio out is now Mini > Beresford TC-7520 USB DAC (currently w/LM4562NA op-amps) > Event TR5 active monitors.

I have a Sound Devices MP-1 mic preamp, Sound Devices 302 mixer and FMR RNC1773 compressor (and quality mics). If I could feed the 302 into my computer, it would probably suffice for most of my needs. If I wish to use the compressor, I figure I could just run mic > MP-1 > RNC > 302 > interface.

I've considered the Sound Devices USBPre, but I'm concerned about the quality of its a/d conversion and some other issues with it (it's also been unrevised for many years). Also, I already own this Sound Devices hardware, and the 302 has more features and superior metering.

So, what FW or USB audio interface might you recommend for this setup? Quality, simplicity, and price are important, with an emphasis on the quality of A/D conversion. Mic pres are not needed and MIDI is irrelevant. Rack mount or not.

Thanks

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:46 am

Have you looked at Benchmark? Simple and high quality for sure, but you pay for it.

You might like the Apogee Duet, very simple but it has two mic pres...
Last edited by firesine on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mmm, lung butter.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:50 am

Edited: redundant comment. Carry on!
Last edited by kayagum on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:43 pm

firesine wrote:Have you looked at Benchmark? Simple and high quality for sure, but you pay for it.

You might like the Apogee Duet, very simple but it has two mic pres...
+1 on those.

OP should also look at:

RME ADI-2

Black Lion Sparrow ADC

Mytek 192 ADC

Apogee mini-me perhaps.

2pints
audio school graduate

Post by 2pints » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'm familiar Benchmark gear, but it far exceeds my budget for this. I would love to have a Benchmark DAC-1, just for music listening, but I can get a lot of other things for that amount of money (and be happy, for now, with a modded Beresford DAC).

denekawa
audio school

Cheap... but great interfaces for digital recording!

Post by denekawa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:50 pm

2pints wrote:Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I'm familiar Benchmark gear, but it far exceeds my budget for this. I would love to have a Benchmark DAC-1, just for music listening, but I can get a lot of other things for that amount of money (and be happy, for now, with a modded Beresford DAC).
Check out an M - Audio 610. They are under $500.00 and have Octane pres in them which have great A/D converters. They sound amazing. It depends if you want your setup to stay pro, but you won't get it for less than that (I could be wrong).If you need ADAT connection the big brother M- Audio Profire 2626 is awesome (about $400.00 more though), but from what you are saying your requirements are, the 610 will do a great job for you. There is also the MOTU Traveller interface which is imho a close second to the M -Audio stuff, only because of the preamps in them. MOTU has far superior customer support, but those Octane preamps cannot be beaten for the price. The Traveller is around $700.00 and you can see it at their web site www.motu.com. There are lesser brands like Edirol that you can use if budget is really an issue, but the M- Audio is worth saving up for if you want to maintain sound quality!
Today's Wisdom - If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments!