space echo tape

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

andris
gettin' sounds

space echo tape

Post by andris » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:50 am

Just wondering where any of you space echo owners get your replacement tape? I've got a re-201 and bought a loop from
http://www.201loop.com/servlet/StoreFront
seemed to work alright, though every time it hit the splice there was a pop, and the tape didn't seem to be able to self oscillate.
Also I'm wondering how often you all replace your tape loops.
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:07 am

that's weird it wouldn't self-oscillate. you had the feedback all the way up?

i just use 456 in mine. if i'm just playing guitar through it, i change the tape not all that often. if i'm using it in a mix and processing tracks i change the tape all the damn time. like once every couple of hours. 456 doesn't have the lubricant in it that the proper roland tape does, so the tape gets wonky fairly quickly.

if the splice pops, couldn't you just find the spot and redo the splice yourself? there's always a little splice noise but you can get it pretty seamless if you do it right.

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:22 am

Yeah the tape echo was present, but even with the feedback all the way up it was just a prominent echo. As far as the splice goes, I was figuring that I could redo it (I just don't have a splice block around and was a little nervous about doing it freehand.)
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:01 am

using tape like 456 will wear your heads much faster. try to use a lubricated tape. find an old 8 track tape and make a loop out of that. it should work great.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:20 am

Not sure how or why, but I noticed whilst browsing on the Analogman Pedal site that they sell tape for space echos, under their Accessories (or something like that).

Disclaimer - I don't know if it is any good, but the rest of their products are very high-end, and they definitely know what they are doing with their pedals, so I would be surprised if it sucked.

http://www.buyanalogman.com/Roland_Spac ... 20rt1l.htm
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:57 am

I'm pretty sure I bought some from that 201 Loop place a few years ago and have been using it since. I don't use my machine a ton and have only changed the tape once since I've owned. I would bet the analogman stuff is good and I would probably try that in the future.

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:29 pm

Yeah I've heard that 456 isn't good for the machine, just wondering what peoples experiences have been. The analogman tape says it is "mastering tape" I'm wondering if that means it is non-lubricated. 8 track cartridges seem like a good option, how long should I make the loop? And should the splice be 45 degrees?
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:12 am

I just ordered some from http://www.mytapeecho.com/ and once I get it and try it out I'll let you know what I think. I saw some posts on another site that the 201 stuff was no good. So be careful...

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

analogman tape...

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:56 am

I bought a replacement from Analogman a year ago and it's been great...the best replacement so far. I don't use my 555 on every take or every track but it gets normal use. I vouch for Analogman...but it is tape so you never know.

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:45 am

Roy, any word on the http://www.mytapeecho.com/ ? I've got a space echo right now that the spring reverb is dead, I'm hoping to open it up in the next week, any suggestions from someone that has worked on one (or even the best way to open one up?)
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:11 pm

I need a replacement for a 150. Anybody got any new recommendations on who/where to buy from?

Seems like there are some sketchy replacements out there.

I'm skeptical about buying a used original off ebay because of the age of the tape.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:43 pm

lol. wonky.... is that the professional term? i love it.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 am

wonky was one of ex-ex-ms mse's favorite words, i stole it from her.

as for 456 being bad for the heads, i'm not saying anyone's wrong, but i've been running 456 in my space echo for a decade and it sounds just the same now as it did back when bush first took office...

*shudders at the memory*

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:07 am

I just got an email back from analogman.com that they don't have any space echo tape, and probably won't for a while. Looks like mytapeecho.com and 201loop.com are the two main sources.
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:54 am

andris wrote:I just got an email back from analogman.com that they don't have any space echo tape, and probably won't for a while. Looks like mytapeecho.com and 201loop.com are the two main sources.
Quantegy 8206 Logging tape is lubricated and works quite well, it's for low speed police tape recorders.

http://www.cartguys.com/ Also has reels of lubricated tape for carts, expensive, but awesome.