Tube mic: Lomo 19a19 or Sony C37A?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

red cross
buyin' gear

Tube mic: Lomo 19a19 or Sony C37A?

Post by red cross » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:36 am

Sorry for the lame "Gearsluttish" type post. Just trying to canvas opinions from folks who have used either or both mics. Please feel free to post your thoughts, they would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

agrpap
pluggin' in mics

Post by agrpap » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:51 am

I've used the 19a19 before. It is a GORGEOUS sounding mic. Huge, huge, sound. I recorded an intimate acoustic track with it and didn't use any EQ or compression, it just sounded beautiful. That said, I could see it being too much of a good thing in some cases. For that particular track, it was too much for my vocals. At any rate, it is a beautiful-sounding mic with tons of gain. BIG sounds with the 19a19. I wish I didn't have to return it.
do i have to?

capone
alignin' 24-trk

Post by capone » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Another vote for the 19a19. It seems to excel on all things stringed. I've also had success using it on a bass amp a few feet back for a roomier sound ditto gtr amps. I've even started to use it on vocals from time to time and it has lots of fans. Unfortunately, I have not used the Sony so I can't offer a comparison.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Paging Joel Hamilton...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:11 am

Thanks guys. Have you found the different 19a19s you have used over the years to be consistent? Or is finding a good one more of a crap shoot? I can't audition any mics from where I am, so that's a bit of a concern for me. I'd hate to end up with a bum one.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:20 pm

The best advice is to try both and return the one you like less. Having said that, it's not always possible. I don't do that everytime either.

I have a 19A19. I've never used the Sony. I bought the Lomo because I had heard great things about it and had an opportunity to get one from someone I trusted for a great price.

I use it tons. Glad I have it.

Hmmm...... That wasn't much help was it.

Just out of curiousity, why are you asking about those two mics?
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

capone
alignin' 24-trk

Post by capone » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Funny enough, I actually have Joel's 19a19. I know he liked it a lot, but it just isn't fair for one man to have so many amazing mics. In this case, I'm glad he decided to part with the Lomo.

PS. if nothing else, the LOMO may be the strangest looking LD tube mic out there - especially if you find one with the weird ball shaped wind screen. Commie mics rule.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Devils advocate time:
It's strange to me that these two mics, the Lomo 19a19 and the sony c-37 are your choices when there is a freaking renaisance of new mics out. Nothing you can get new will float your boat?
Sony mics that I have used all seemed to be kind of one trick ponies. In that they had a very distinct kind of response to them that would only work on strings or drum overheads.
Lomo, I never used one yet. But didnt they also make cameras?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:02 pm

linus wrote:The best advice is to try both and return the one you like less. Having said that, it's not always possible. I don't do that everytime either.

I have a 19A19. I've never used the Sony. I bought the Lomo because I had heard great things about it and had an opportunity to get one from someone I trusted for a great price.

I use it tons. Glad I have it.

Hmmm...... That wasn't much help was it.
if the seller says the capsule has been replaced... should I be worried? Anything i should ask or look out for?
Just out of curiousity, why are you asking about those two mics?
It's strange to me that these two mics, the Lomo 19a19 and the sony c-37 are your choices when there is a freaking renaisance of new mics out. Nothing you can get new will float your boat?
I'm asking cause I sold off pretty much all of my "newer" condensers. 4033, Oktavamods, 414s. Even the 4047, which I sorta liked, didn't really hold up for me after awhile. I sort of figured maybe it's better to just buy the actual stuff that was used on records I like. Given that a U47 is out of the question, these two are sort of more affordable alternatives for me. The fact that Bill Evan's "Live At The Village Vanguard" was recorded on 3 C37As didn't hurt either, haha.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:44 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Lomo, I never used one yet. But didnt they also make cameras?
...and missles and microscopes. That alone should be reason enough to buy one.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Russian gear I have (including a few watches and cameras) is a strange combination of crude as hell and ruthlessly accurate. It's like third world "good enough" meets old world craftmanship. I keep meaning to run my submarine commanders watch by a geiger counter though.
Was/is Lomo based in Tula as well?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Yes. Most of the Lomo stuff is really the height of broadcast technology in that area. I get the impression that much of it was based on eastern European designs from equipment brought into Russia under the radar and reverse-engineered. There's a lot of crappy stuff that came out of Russia between 1960 and 1989, but there's some really great stuff as, well. A lot of the Lomo tube equipment falls into the latter category.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:03 pm

19A19 is an incredible microphone.
the C37 is just okay.

thats my 2 cents..