Small Room Layout (Bass trap positions)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

john1056
alignin' 24-trk

Small Room Layout (Bass trap positions)

Post by john1056 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 pm

How does this look for a layout? Is it over the top for such a small room? The room is 12x10 and I am assuming the traps will be 2x4.

http://wombatmusic.blogspot.com/

I was also wondering about the vertical positioning. My ceiling is low (7ft). Could I mount them against the ceiling so that amps etc. can be flush against the wall below? Would this reduce their effectiveness?

Thanks!
John

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:53 pm

I would not think that over the top for a small room. Corners, I'd suggest going from floor to ceiling if you can swing it.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:03 pm

I don't think that's over the top at all for a small room.

But then, of course, I sell acoustic treatment, so take that with a grain of salt. :twisted:

I agree, floor-to-ceiling with bass traps in the corners. Also, cover as many wall/ceiling corners as you can. With bass trapping in a small room, the more the better. If possible, use bass traps that aren't fully absorptive at high frequencies so you don't make the room sound too dead.

Also, I'd suggest absorptive panels at the ceiling first-reflection points to complete your RFZ, see here for more detail: http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

If you have the budget for diffusors, use them on the rear wall.

john1056
alignin' 24-trk

Post by john1056 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Great info thanks!

For floor to ceiling corners, I guess my options are a 2x4 and a Tri-corner or a custom built 7' trap.

Would 4" 703 FRK be a good material for the traps? It looks like it does a lot less absorbing at 2000 and 4000 hz (.49 and .23) compared to plain 4" 703 (based on this chart) http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

For the ceiling I was thinking I would just get by with some of the 2" foam pyramid stuff I have for now. I will probably have to move some gear to finance the traps as it is. Would you recommend prioritizing this above the traps for the first go around?

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:45 pm

I agree with the ceiling suggestion. I just posted this in another thread a few days ago, the two traps I put on the ceiling made a dramatic difference over the crap foam I had before. don't forget some treatment above the drums too!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 pm

Yes Jon, 703FRK will work just fine for bass traps. Don't use the FRK for absorbers at reflection points (side walls, ceiling, rear wall).

stoneman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stoneman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:54 am

JWL wrote: Don't use the FRK for absorbers at reflection points (side walls, ceiling, rear wall).
why? i thought that stuff was meant to go all over...?

i have the same dimension room and have really battled to find a good recipe. i have carpet on the floor so lately i have tried 1/4" ply on the floor under the piano and the guitar pickers corner.

its a fun journey searching for the sound i want to hear so thanks to everyone on these forums for helping us small room guys --but, truth be told, i just can't wait to have a bigger room one day...

Ethan Winer
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Ethan Winer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:00 am

stoneman wrote:why? i thought that stuff was meant to go all over...?
FRK is reflective at mid and high frequencies. This is great for bass traps, but reflection absorbers need to absorb fully at mid and high frequencies.

--Ethan

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 am

Just to clarify, use 703 withOUT FRK at first-reflection points, use it with FRK everywhere else.

john1056
alignin' 24-trk

Post by john1056 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:54 am

john1056
alignin' 24-trk

Post by john1056 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:03 am

stoneman wrote:
JWL wrote: Don't use the FRK for absorbers at reflection points (side walls, ceiling, rear wall).
why? i thought that stuff was meant to go all over...?

i have the same dimension room and have really battled to find a good recipe. i have carpet on the floor so lately i have tried 1/4" ply on the floor under the piano and the guitar pickers corner.

its a fun journey searching for the sound i want to hear so thanks to everyone on these forums for helping us small room guys --but, truth be told, i just can't wait to have a bigger room one day...
I think I'm going to use laminate on my floor. Seems like its best to be reflective on the floor, and besides, I've seen first hand what my grubby band mates shoes have done the carpet in a friends room :) This is it for me, this is the room I will likely record in forever. We moved last year, with the intent of dying in our new (old) house (after living a little first).
Last edited by john1056 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:14 am

Closer. If it were me I'd make the 2 behind the speakers (on teh right of the drawing) FRK. Also, that drawing doesn't show ceiling absorbers. Use FRK absorbers across the wall/ceiling corners (as many as possible), and non-FRK absorbers above the mix desk to complete your RFZ.

john1056
alignin' 24-trk

Post by john1056 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:49 am

JWL wrote:
Closer. If it were me I'd make the 2 behind the speakers (on teh right of the drawing) FRK. Also, that drawing doesn't show ceiling absorbers. Use FRK absorbers across the wall/ceiling corners (as many as possible), and non-FRK absorbers above the mix desk to complete your RFZ.
Thanks! The lighter blue panels in front of the desk are suppose to be the over desk absorbers, actual placement will depend on the mirror technique, maybe I need more? I think the wall/ceiling ones will have to wait until round two ($$$). Do you think these would make more of an impact than trying to swing a diffusor in the 1st round of treatments (I was thinking 1 RealTraps one in the back)?

john1056
alignin' 24-trk

Another layout

Post by john1056 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:53 am

Some small changes, FRK behind the desk, the ceiling absorbers more over the desk, and where I think I'd like a diffusor to go.

http://wombatmusic.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... ake-3.html

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:52 am

Excellent. 2 thoughts:

1. Make sure the side panels at are reflection points. They look a bit too close to the rear of the room in the drawing. For more on this, see the "HOW" section of this page: http://realtraps.com/rfz.htm

2. I'd make the rear wall symmetrical. Rather than 1 absorber and 1 diffusor, I'd use 2 of the same, either diffusors or absorbers. Diffusors will likely sound better if you have the budget for them. The key is symmetry: if you can squeeze one diffusor in, with 2 absorbers (one on each side of the diff) that will work great.