very cheap, simple 4 track

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

gutsofgold
pushin' record

very cheap, simple 4 track

Post by gutsofgold » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14 pm

I have never even thought about venturing into the true analog world but I would like to give it a try. I play strictly acoustic now and want to see how it sounds to tape.

Need a recommendation for a very budget friendly 4 track. The cheapest but still functioning machine is what I am looking for. :wink:

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:46 pm

I would seriously check out your local craigslist. those things are always going for $30 or free around these parts.
Most cassette 4 tracks have pretty atrocious sound quality. Not just the tape heads and such but the audio electronics, mic pres, EQs etc.
There are some good quality ones out there, but they tend to be on the less user friendly side. Eg more features, more flexibility=not so obvious signal flow.
The tascam 424 is an old standby. The Vestax are pretty good too. they usually have some interesting features. IIRC the Vestax units always had the most insane amount of variable tape speed. Like +/- 20% or something.

Or, heres a crazy idea. Check out some garage sales for old Sony open reel decks. They usually have sound on sound recording built in, and a funky echo circuit as well.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:41 am

I've got a Tascam Portastudio 464 I got for $50 on Craigslist not that long ago. It sounds great, totally different flavor that going straight to my computer. Unfortunately the 4th track won't work, so I essentially have a 3 track :) I use it all the time.

jabe
studio intern

Post by jabe » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:33 am

Two things to note: "going to tape" on even the best cassette 4-track isn't much like high-end analog (though I assume you realize that already). Also, Type II cassettes aren't so easy to track down these days.

That said, I recently got the itch to return to my 4-track roots and stumbled across a Yamaha MT4X for $50. It sounds good for what it is. It's tricked out with features, so I guess isn't "simple", but it's nothing 10 minutes with the manual can't cure. Being an inveterate tinkerer (and possibly a little nuts), I installed jacks to bypass the preamp/mixer circuit so I could use outboard preamps going in, and upgraded the tape out circuit. Like jgimble, I now have a 3-track. On the plus side, those three tracks now sound a lot better!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:50 am

I used to have a great old Yamaha 4 track. Can't remember the model # but it was circa early 80's, light grey and the tape deck and mixer were seperate units. The mixer was junk but the deck was quite good. I sold it off when I got my first 8 track. Should have kept it.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:10 am

I have a Tascam 424 Portastudio, and I still use it from time to time to record some lo-fi drums or acoustic tracks. It's realiable and fairly cheap, just keep checking out CL or ebay and you'll find one eventually. Just be sure to test it thoroughly and clean the tape heads. Also, I have a source for tapes so you can PM me if you can't find any. I recomend looking for some Maxell XL II tapes.

But as stated, cassette recording isn't much like using a high reel to reel. The quality is way, way lower, and cassette machines are generally a much cheaper build quality.

thththediamondz
audio school graduate

Post by thththediamondz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:34 pm

one thing about the Tascam 424, i would get one of the older gray ones if you can find it in good shape.
i loved mine. broke it.
now i got a blue 424 mkIII and the sound is nothing as good.
sounds thinner and kinda brittle.
(maybe i got a bad one, but it just seems cheaper)
i still use it but just for the tape speed effect out of the computer.

4 tracks are great too for backing tracks when you don't have a band.
424s have direct outs, you can split to a few cheap amps on stage with you,
so they don't all come from the same place.
throw up a different band mix depending on your mood or the club size.

love 4 tracks.
me & my sleepy queens are
at the mezzanine bar,
gettin high, butterfly.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:15 pm

See if you can find a Tascam 234- or a Tascam 238. (238s is even better).

Then again, you can also use this too: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=67311

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:59 pm

thanks for the suggestions, for whatever reason craigslist never crossed my mind. i'll keep an eye out.

I just realized that most of my mics are condensers, aside from two sm57's. do they make an inline adapter for phantom power?

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:01 pm

48 volt phantom power adapter?
Yes, Audio Technica makes a good cheap one, as does Ross.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm

There is one listed on the buy/sell/trade forum right now:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=67311

However $120 seems a bit high. I bought mine for $60 like 8 years ago.